South Atlantic For-Hire Electronic Reporting Amendment
Proposed actions: The amendment contains actions/alternatives that would require weekly electronic reporting by charter vessels. The actions/alternatives are patterned after the recently implemented headboat electronic reporting requirements.
In September 2015, the amendment was revised to include ONLY South Atlantic charter vessels.
The Council is also in the process of implementing a pilot project in cooperation with ACCSP to test the use of a tablet reporting system with 21 charter captains throughout the region.
Action 1: Modify Frequency and Mechanism of Data Reporting for Charter Vessels
- Preferred Alternative 2. Require that federally permitted charter vessels, while operating as a charter vessel, submit fishing records to the SRD weekly, or at intervals shorter than a week if notified by the SRD, via electronic reporting (via NMFS approved hardware/and software). Weekly = Tuesday following each fishing week.
- Preferred Sub-alternative 2a. Report all fish harvested/and discarded on all trips regardless of where the fish were caught.
Action 2: Modify Frequency and Mechanism of Data Reporting for Headboats
- Preferred Alternative 2. Require that headboats, while operating as a headboat, submit fishing records to the SRD weekly, or at intervals shorter than a week if notified by the SRD, via electronic reporting (via NMFS approved hardware/and software). Weekly = Tuesday following each fishing week
Action 3: Modify Electronic Reporting Requirements to Require Vessel or Catch Location Reporting
- Preferred Alternative 2. Require federally permitted charters vessels to report location fished electronically by manually entering latitude/and longitude in degrees and minutes or by clicking on an electronic chart.
Most Recent Council Actions: In December 2016, the Council approved the amendment for formal review by the Secretary of Commerce.
GET INVOLVED –
- Pre-Scoping: March - June 2015
- Scoping: N/A
- Public Hearing: Jan/Feb 2016
- Final Approval: December 2016
- Secretarial Review:
- Rule Making: