Snapper Grouper Vision Blueprint Commercial Regulatory Amendment 27
Proposed actions: Council directed staff to begin development of an amendment to address items identified in the Vision Blueprint addressing commercial management measures.
Most Recent Council Actions: During the March meeting, the Council proposed:
- Commercial split seasons - analyze landings by state over time for deepwater species, red porgy, and greater amberjack; and golden tilefish (hook-and-line only); look at different ACL proportion splits using different spans of months for blueline, red porgy, snowy and golden tilefish hook-and-line only (starting Jan 1) and greater amberjack (starting Mar 1).
- Trip limits and step-downs - options for reduced trip limits for vermilion snapper in the second season; analyze and develop a range of trip limits for the Jacks complex; do not consider limiting the number of trips for golden tilefish nor setting commercial ACTs to trigger step-downs.
- Shallow-water grouper closure - consider the same alternatives developed for Regulatory Amendment 26.
- Remove the action to consider a fishing year change for golden tilefish (hook-and-line).
- Council also gave additional direction to staff to continue work on the fishing portfolio analysis and socioeconomic characterization of the commercial snapper grouper fishery.
GET INVOLVED –
- Pre-Scoping: September 2016
- Scoping: January/February 2017
- Public Hearing:
- Final Approval:
- Secretarial Review:
- Rule Making: