Although the threat of Hurricane Irma led us to postpone the September Council Meeting in Charleston, South Carolina, the 5 day event is still on and has been rescheduled for 9/25 - 9/29. We hope all of you managed to make it through the storm without damages and we look forward to seeing many of you during the meeting. There is much to cover in the way of hot button issues, including the possibility of a red snapper season in 2017 and the potential transfer of management jurisdiction of Atlantic migratory group cobia. You'll definitely want to listen in if you are invested in these fisheries!
September 25-29, 2017
Town & Country Inn
2008 Savannah Highway
Charleston SC 29407
Here are some of the highlights that you can expect to hear about during the meeting:
- Red Snapper - Special Public Comment Session specific to red snapper management (Snapper Grouper Amendment 43 & Emergency Action for Red Snapper in 2017) to be held on Monday September 25, 2017 at 10:15 AM
- Red Snapper - Following the Public Comment Session, the Council will discuss formal approval for Snapper Grouper Amendment 43 and the possible request for Red Snapper Emergency Action in 2017.
Snapper Grouper Committee:
- Visioning Amendments - The Council will continue to review and modify both recreational (Amendment 26) and commercial (Amendment 27) management measures in the snapper grouper fishery. Items being considered were identified as priority action items in the Council's 2016-2020 Snapper Grouper Vision Blueprint.
- Wreckfish - The Council will discuss a SERO presentation of the ITQ Review Process and a recent report from the shareholders meeting held in August 2017.
Mackerel Cobia Committee:
- Cobia-The Council will receive an updated report on the ASMFC Interstate Cobia Plan and will discuss the results of scoping of CMP Amendment 31 (which will propose alternatives for management of Atlantic migratory group cobia and the possibility of management jurisdiction transfer to ASMFC).
Of course there are many other topics to be covered during the meeting. You can see the full agenda at the link below.
Don't forget that the Council will host public comment sessions during the week:
Monday, September 25, 2017 at 10:15 AM: Red Snapper specific Public Comment Session
Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 4:30 PM: Public Comment Session
*featured photo courtesy of the South Carolina Governor's Cup Billfishing Series