The Council will host or participate in other meetings dealing with fisheries management issues. Read more below about upcoming meetings that the Council is involved with throughout the region.
South Atlantic Ecosystem Model Workshop: February 10-11, 2015
Location: Florida Fish and Wildlife Resource Institute (FWRI), St. Petersburg, Florida
Contact Roger Pugliese for more information - 843.571.4366 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Joint Council Committee on South Florida Management Issues Meeting: January 13-15, 2015
Location: Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel, 3841 N Roosevelt Blvd, Key West, FL 33040, (305) 296-8100
Time: The South Florida Management Committee will meet beginning at 9:00 a.m. Tuesday through 12:00 p.m. Thursday
Briefing Book (posted 1/7)
- January 13, 2015 - Click here to register
- January 14, 2015 - Click here to register
- January 15, 2015 - Click here to register
Items up for discussion include:
- Update on the status of draft Amendment 35 to the Snapper Grouper Fishery Management Plan (FMP) for the South Atlantic (measures to remove black snapper, dog snapper, mahogany snapper, and schoolmaster from the FMPand golden tilefish measures)
- Review the Draft Joint Amendment to the FMP for the Reef Fish Resources of the Gulf of Mexico and the FMP for the Snapper Grouper Resources of the South Atlantic Region: The draft amendment is being developed by the Committee and includes actions to modify both the Gulf of Mexico Reef Fish FMP and the Snapper Grouper FMP for the South Atlantic. The draft amendment includes options to:
- delegate management of black grouper, mutton snapper and yellowtail snapper to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC);
- specify allocations of mutton snapper and black grouper to the State of Florida with bycatch allowances for other Gulf and South Atlantic states;
- modifications to the bag limit and commercial trip limits for mutton snapper in the Gulf of Mexico and South Atlantic;
- modify the black grouper bag limit and implement a recreational spawning season closure;
- specify accountability measures specifically for South Florida species (yellowtail snapper, mutton snapper and black grouper);
- modify the shallow-water grouper species compositions and seasonal closures in the Gulf of Mexico and South Atlantic;
- and options to modify the current circle hook requirements in the Gulf and South Atlantic.
- Additional presentations will be provided relative to the management boundaries and responsibility for hogfish, a progress report on speckled hind and warsaw grouper management, and the status of the goliath grouper stock assessment.
- Public comment will be accepted at the end of each meeting day.
- Written comments will be accepted prior the beginning of the Committee meeting and should be mailed to Robert Mahood, South Atlantic Fishery Management Council, 4055 Faber Place Drive, Suite 201, N. Charleston, SC 29406 or emailed to email@example.com.
SEDAR Steering Committee: October 6-7, 2014
The meeting will be held in Charleston, SC
Briefing Book materials are posted on the SEDAR website, here.
Joint Council South Florida Management Issues Committee Meeting: July 22-23, 2014
Ad Hoc Goliath Grouper Joint Steering Committee Meeting: July 24, 2014
Full Agenda for both meetings.
Briefing Book (posted 7/15)
- July 22, 2014 - Click here to register
- July 23, 2014 - Click here to register
- July 24, 2014 - Click here to register
The South Florida Management Committee will meet beginning at 9:00 a.m. Tuesday through 5:00 p.m. Wednesday
Items up for discussion include:
- South Florida Management Issues
- Status of South Atlantic Species Removal
- Review of Draft Joint Generic Amendment to the Gulf Reef Fish and South Atlantic Snapper/Grouper Fishery Management Plans
- Progress Report on Speckled Hind and Warsaw Grouper Working Group
- Life history information
- Stock structure and status
The Ad Hoc Goliath Grouper Joint Steering Committee will meet from 9:00 a.m. - noon Thursday to discuss the following:
- Review of ongoing goliath grouper research obtained
- Report on SSC/stock assessment analyst recommendations
- Next steps for assessment/additional data collection
The South Florida Management Committee will then reconvene Thursday afternoon to provide discussion and feedback on the recommendations of the Ad Hoc Goliath Grouper Joint Committee.
An opportunity to provide public comment is scheduled for each afternoon.
SEDAR Steering Committee Meeting via webinar: June 5, 2014
The meeting will be held via webinar from 10AM - 12PM.
Attachment 1. January 30, 2014, Meeting Summary
Attachment 2. SOPPS with revisions
Attachment 3. Existing Summary Report Contents
Attachment 4. Gulf Council Summary Report Outline
Attachment 5. Example SAFMC Gag Grouper Summary
Attachment 6. 2015 Project Schedule
Attachment 7. SEDAR Project Listing
Oculina Experimental Closed Area Evaluation Team Webinar: March 12, 2014
Meeting will be held via webinar from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m.
The Evaluation Team is comprised of law enforcement representatives, research scientists, resource managers, commercial fishermen, recreational fishermen, outreach experts, and non-governmental organization representatives. The Team is tasked with reviewing and providing recommendations for the ongoing research and monitoring, outreach, and law enforcement components of the Evaluation Plan.
The items of discussion during the data webinar are as follows:
- Participants will initiate discussions on the re-evaluation of the OECA.
- Breakout sessions will be held via webinar with the Evaluation Team to discuss Research & Monitoring, Outreach, and Law Enforcement components of the Evaluation Team
- Oculina Evaluation Team - Outreach Breakout: March 13 from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
- Oculina Evaluation Team - Research Breakout: March 13 from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM
- Oculina Evaluation Team - Law Enforcement Breakout: March 14 from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
Webinar Information: The webinars ares open to members of the public. Those interested in participating should contact Anna Martin at the SAFMC to request an invitation providing webinar access information. Please request webinar invitations at least 24 hours in advance of the webinar.
SEDAR Steering Committee: January 30, 2014 from 2-4pm
Meeting will be held via webinar. Meeting information is posted at the SEDAR webpage.
Joint Council Committee on South Florida Management Issues and Goliath Grouper Joint Council Committee Meeting
Date: January 7-9, 2014
Location: Hilton Key Largo Resort, 97000 Overseas Hwy, Key Largo, FL 33037; Phone - (305) 852-5553
Agenda items for the meeting of the Joint Council Committee on South Florida Management Issues include:
Presentation on the South Florida Issues workshops held in July/August 2013
Overview of status and trends for South Florida species; and
Discussion of species specific management concerns and next steps for yellowtail snapper, mutton snapper, hogfish, mangrove snapper, shallow-water groupers, Nassau grouper, warsaw grouper, and speckled hind.
Additionally, the Ad Hoc Goliath Grouper Joint Council Committee and the Joint Council Committee On South Florida Management Issues will meet to review the last stock assessment for goliath grouper and to hear a presentation on the recent Goliath Grouper Stakeholder Workshops and survey. Other items on the agenda include the review of recommendations from the Ad Hoc Goliath Grouper Joint Science workshop and a review of ongoing goliath grouper research.