South Atlantic Fishery Management Council:
(Adapted from News Release from the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council)
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 3, 2014
CONTACT: Kim Iverson
Public Information Officer
Toll Free 866/SAFMC-10 or 843/571-4366
Meeting Scheduled to Discuss South Florida Fishery Management Issues and Management of Goliath Grouper
The Gulf of Mexico and South Atlantic Fishery Management Council's joint South Florida Management Committee will meet July 22 - 23, 2014, with a brief follow-up session immediately following the Ad Hoc Goliath Grouper Joint Steering Committee, which meets July 24 from 9am - noon. Both Committees are at the Hilton Key Largo hotel, 97000 Overseas Highway, Key Largo, Florida.
The South Florida Management Committee will meet beginning at 9:00 a.m. Tuesday through 5:00 p.m. Wednesday
Items up for discussion include:
- South Florida Management Issues
- Status of South Atlantic Species Removal
- Review of Draft Joint Generic Amendment to the Gulf Reef Fish and South Atlantic Snapper/Grouper Fishery Management Plans
- Progress Report on Speckled Hind and Warsaw Grouper Working Group
- Life history information
- Stock structure and status
The Ad Hoc Goliath Grouper Joint Steering Committee will meet from 9:00 a.m. - noon Thursday to discuss the following:
- Review of ongoing goliath grouper research obtained
- Report on SSC/stock assessment analyst recommendations
- Next steps for assessment/additional data collection
The South Florida Management Committee will then reconvene Thursday afternoon to provide discussion and feedback on the recommendations of the Ad Hoc Goliath Grouper Joint Committee.
An opportunity to provide public comment is scheduled for each afternoon. The full agenda is available here.
Additional meeting information will be posted on the Council's Other Meetings page as it becomes available.