South Atlantic Fishery Bulletin
Bringing Fishing News to You
Issue Date: January 24, 2018
Sustainable Fisheries (727) 824-5305
Atlantic Spanish Mackerel Southern Zone Commercial Trip Limit Reduction to 1,500 pounds on January 27, 2018
- The daily trip limit for the commercial harvest of Atlantic Spanish mackerel in the southern zone is reduced from 3,500 to 1,500 pounds, effective 6:00 a.m. on January 27, 2018.
- The southern zone includes federal waters off the states of South Carolina, Georgia, and The boundary for the southern zone is the North Carolina/South Carolina border and the Monroe/Miami-Dade Counties, Florida, border.
WHY THIS TRIP LIMIT REDUCTION IS HAPPENING:
- When landings of Atlantic Spanish mackerel in the southern zone reach or are projected to reach 75 percent of the adjusted quota, accountability measures are in place to reduce the daily trip limit.
- The trip limit reduction is necessary to slow the rate of commercial harvest to avoid exceeding the adjusted quota.
AFTER THE TRIP LIMIT REDUCTION:
- The 1,500 pound trip limit will remain in effect until the end of the current fishing season on February 28, 2018, or when 100 percent of the adjusted quota is reached or projected to be reached, whichever occurs first. The commercial trip limit becomes 500 pounds after 100 percent of the adjusted quota is reached or projected to be reached.
This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. Full regulations can be found in the Federal Register or at http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi- bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=76c2b80788a139f1549b85d3764437b0&mc=true&n=pt50.12.622 &r=PART&ty=HTML#sp50.12.622.q
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time. Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707 Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750