|South Atlantic Fishery Bulletin|
|Bringing Fishing News to You|
FISHERY BULLETIN ISSUE DATE: April 20, 2018
CONTACT: Sustainable Fisheries, (727) 824-5305
South Atlantic Vermilion Snapper Commercial Trip Limit Reduced to 555 Pounds Whole Weight on April 26, 2018
- The daily trip limit for the commercial harvest of vermilion snapper in federal waters of the South Atlantic is reduced from 1,100 to 555 pounds whole weight, or from 1,000 to 500 pounds gutted weight, effective 12:01 a.m., local time, on April 26, 2018.
WHY THIS TRIP LIMIT REDUCTION IS HAPPENING:
- When commercial landings of South Atlantic vermilion snapper reach or are projected to reach 75 percent of the quota, regulations are in place to reduce the daily trip limit.
- The trip limit reduction is necessary to slow the rate of commercial harvest to avoid exceeding the quota.
AFTER THE TRIP LIMIT REDUCTION:
- The 555-pound whole weight or 500-pound gutted weight trip limit will remain in effect until the end of the current fishing season on June 30, 2018, or when 100 percent of the quota is reached or projected to be reached, whichever occurs first. The second 2018 vermilion snapper season in the South Atlantic will open at 12:01 a.m., local time, on July 1, 2018, with a 1,100-pound whole weight or 1,000-pound gutted weight trip limit.
This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. Full regulations can be found in the Federal Register or at http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=383bc195ccbeab4fd6bec1c24905df34&node=sp50.12.622.i&rgn=div6#se50.12.622_1191
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750