The Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council is soliciting public input on a draft amendment to address management and conservation of chub mackerel off the U.S. east coast. Five public hearings will be held between December 3, 2018 and January 14, 2019. Written comments will be accepted through January 18, 2019.
The draft amendment considers adding Atlantic chub mackerel (Scomber colias) as a "stock in the fishery" in the Mackerel, Squid, and Butterfish Fishery Management Plan. The amendment considers potential catch limits, accountability measures, and other conservation and management measures required for stocks in the fishery.
Members of the public are invited to comment on any aspect of the draft amendment. Following a review of comments received, the Council will choose preferred management measures and submit the amendment to the Secretary of Commerce for approval and publication of proposed and final rules, both of which have additional comment periods.
Public Hearing Schedule
There will be five hearings with the following dates/times/locations:
- Virginia Beach, VA. December 3, 2018, 6:00 - 7:30 pm. Hilton Garden Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront. 3315 Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451.
- Berlin, MD. December 4, 2018, 6:00 - 7:30 pm. Worcester County Library - Ocean Pines Branch. 11107 Cathell Road, Berlin, MD 21811
- Narragansett, RI. December 17, 2018, 6:00 - 7:30 pm. URI Bay Campus Corless Auditorium. 215 South Ferry Road, Narragansett, RI 02882.
- Cape May, NJ. December 18, 2018, 6:00 - 7:30 pm. Congress Hall Hotel. 200 Congress Place, Cape May, NJ 08204.
- Webinar. January 14, 2019, 6:00 - 7:30 pm. Connection information is available athttp://www.mafmc.org/council-events/
Written comments should be submitted by 11:59 pm on January 18, 2019, through one of the following methods:
Please include "Chub Mackerel Comments" in the subject line if using email or fax, or on the outside of the envelope if submitting written comments by mail.