Southeast Fishery Bulletin
Bringing Fishing News to You
FISHERY BULLETIN ISSUE DATE: November 30, 2017
CONTACT: Southeast Permits Office, (877) 376-4877
NOAA Fisheries Reminds Permit Holders to Renew Permits Following Hurricane Season
- With hurricane season over, the Southeast Permits Office reminds all permit holders, including those who may have been impacted by extreme weather events, that all limited access permits must be renewed by the termination date printed on the face of the permit or the permit will become non-renewable.
- If you have lost your permitted vessel, you can transfer the permit to another vessel, or even a U.S. Coast Guard or state registered raft or dinghy, to keep the permit viable. Permit holders may call the Southeast Permits Office toll free at (877) 376-4877 to ask about transfer provisions and what their opportunities are to retain their limited access permits.
- The Southeast Region was impacted by a number of hurricanes in 2017, and those impacts may have resulted in a loss of property, including fishing vessels.
- NOAA Fisheries reminds permit holders to ensure they renew their limited access permits before the termination date printed on the face of the permit or the permit will become non-renewable.
- All limited access permits, except South Atlantic Golden Crab and Atlantic Tuna Longline, are renewable within one year of the permit's expiration date.
- Federal law requires the Southeast Regional Office receive renewal applications for South Atlantic Golden Crab no later than June 30 following the permit's December 31 expiration.
- There is no termination date printed on the face of the Atlantic Tuna Longline permit, and therefore, this permit can be renewed at any time.
- Permit holders renew their permits by submitting an application with required documents to the Southeast Permits Office. Permit holders can call the Southeast Permits Office and request an application or download one from sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/permits.
- An application postmarked within the renewal period but received by the Southeast Permits Office after the last day of the renewal period does not meet this requirement.
- If the last day of the renewal period falls on a weekend or holiday, then the Southeast Permits Office must receive the application on the last business day before that weekend or holiday.
- If the permit is not renewed before the termination date, the permit will be terminated and cannot be transferred or renewed.
- Turnaround time, from the date the Southeast Permits Office receives an application to the date they mail out permits, varies. Applications are reviewed in the order in which they are received to ensure fairness to all applicants. The regulations advise to allow at least 30 days for the review of the application.
- Applicants cannot fish while waiting for the Southeast Permits Office to renew their expired permit. Applicants fishing on an expired permit could be subject to penalties.
- The number of limited access permits has been capped and no new permits can be issued for a specific fishery. If a permit holder loses a limited access permit, they must transfer an existing permit to their vessel.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750