SOUTHEAST FISHERY BULLETIN
November 7, 2014
NOAA Fisheries Announces New Regulations for the Snapper-Grouper Fishery in the South Atlantic
Small Entity Compliance Guide
The final rule for Regulatory Amendment 14 to the Fishery Management Plan for the Snapper-Grouper Fishery of the South Atlantic Region published on November 7, 2014 (79 FR 66316). Regulations will be effective on December 8, 2014.
Regulatory Amendment 14 will:
- Change the current fishing year for both commercial and recreational sectors of greater amberjack from May 1 through April 30, to March 1 through the end of February.
- Change the current commercial fishing year for black sea bass from June 1 through May 31, to January 1 through December 31.
- Change the current recreational fishing year for black sea bass from June 1 through May 31, to April 1 through March 31.
- Specify a 300 pound gutted weight commercial trip limit for black sea bass using hook-and-line gear from January 1 to April 30. From May 1 to December 31, the trip limit is 1,000 pounds gutted weight for hook-and-line gear.
- Note: Black sea bass pots are prohibited from November 1 through April 30. From May 1 to October 31, the trip limit for black sea bass caught with pots is 1,000 pounds gutted weight.
- Revise the black sea bass recreational accountability measure to have NOAA Fisheries announce the length of the recreational season for black sea bass annually in the Federal Register.
- Reduce the commercial trip limit for gag from the current 1,000 pounds gutted weight, to 500 pounds gutted weight, when 75 percent of the gag commercial quota is reached.
- Implement an in-season closure for vermillion snapper if the recreational catch limit is reached, and an overage adjustment (payback) in the event that the recreational catch limit is exceeded.
This bulletin serves as a Small Entity Compliance Guide, complying with section 212 of the Small Business Regulatory Enforcement Fairness Act of 1996.
For more information on the final rule for Regulatory Amendment 14, please follow this link to the Frequently Asked Questions:
For a complete list of NOAA Fishery Bulletins, click here.
FB14-081: NOAA Fisheries Announces New Regulations for the Snapper-Grouper Fishery in the South Atlantic