SOUTHEAST FISHERY BULLETIN
December 19, 2014
NOAA Fisheries Seeks Comments on Proposed Management Measures to End Overfishing of Blueline Tilefish in the South Atlantic
Comment Period Ends February 17, 2015
Amendment 32 would implement management measures to end overfishing (rate of fish removal too high) of blueline tilefish in the South Atlantic. A population assessment completed in 2013 determined that blueline tilefish is undergoing overfishing. The South Atlantic Fishery Management Council (Council) and NOAA Fisheries are required by law to prepare and implement a plan amendment and regulations to end overfishing by December 6, 2015.
Actions in Amendment 32 consider:
- Implementation of blueline tilefish annual catch limits and accountability measures for the commercial and recreational sectors. Accountability measures are management controls to prevent annual catch limits from being exceeded and to correct overages of the catch limits if they do occur.
- Implementation of a commercial trip limit of 100 pounds gutted weight for blueline tilefish.
- Implementation of a recreational vessel limit of one per vessel per day for the months of May through August each year. Recreational harvest of blueline tilefish would be prohibited September through April each year.
- Removal of blueline tilefish from the deep-water complex.
- Recalculation of the commercial and recreational annual catch limits for the deep-water complex.
- Revisions to the accountability measures for the commercial and recreational sectors for the deep-water complex.
Request for Comments
Comments on the amendment must be received no later than February 17, 2015, to be considered by NOAA Fisheries. See the Addresses section for information on where and how to submit comments.
Electronic copies of Amendment 32 may be obtained from the NOAA Fisheries Web site:
http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/sustainable_fisheries/s_atl/sg/2014/am32/index.html, the Federal e-Rulemaking Portal at https://www.regulations.gov/, the Council's Web site at http://safmc.net/cms.
You may submit comments by the following methods:
- Electronic Submission: Submit all electronic public comments via the Federal e-Rulemaking Portal. Go to: www.regulations.gov/#!docketDetail;D=NOAA-NMFS-2014-0145, click the "Comment Now!" icon, complete the required fields, and enter or attach your comments.
Southeast Regional Office
Sustainable Fisheries Division
c/o Rick DeVictor
263 13th Avenue South
St. Petersburg, Florida 33701
More information, including Frequently Asked Questions for Amendment 32 can be found online at:
For a complete list of NOAA Fishery Bulletins, click here.
FB14-098: NOAA Fisheries Seeks Comments on Proposed Management Measures to End Overfishing of Blueline Tilefish in the South Atlantic - Comment Period Ends February 17, 2015