South Atlantic Fishery Bulletin
Bringing Fishing News to You
FISHERY BULLETIN ISSUE DATE: May 12, 2017
CONTACT: Sustainable Fisheries (727) 824-5305
Commercial Closure for Vermilion Snapper in South Atlantic Federal Waters on May 17, 2017
The commercial harvest of vermilion snapper in federal waters of the South Atlantic will close at 12:01 a.m. on May 17, 2017. During the commercial closure, harvest or possession of vermilion snapper in or from federal waters is limited to the recreational bag and possession limits when the recreational fishery is open.
WHY THIS CLOSURE IS HAPPENING:
- The 2017 January - June commercial catch limit is 431,460 pounds whole weight. Commercial landings are approaching the commercial catch limit and harvest should close to prevent the catch limit from being exceeded.
AFTER THE CLOSURE:
- The closure applies in both state and federal waters for vessels that have a federal commercial permit for South Atlantic Snapper-Grouper.
- The prohibition on sale or purchase during a closure for vermilion snapper does not apply to fish that were harvested, landed ashore, and sold prior to 12:01 a.m. on May 17, 2017, and were held in cold storage by a dealer or processor.
- The second vermilion snapper season in the South Atlantic will open on July 1, 2017, with a 431,460 pounds whole weight catch limit, and a 1,100-pound whole weight or 1,000-pound gutted weight trip limit.
This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. Full regulations can be found in the Federal Register or at
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750