SOUTHEAST FISHERY BULLETIN
June 9, 2014
NOAA Fisheries Announces New Regulations for the Dolphin and Wahoo Fishery of the Atlantic
The final rule for Amendment 5 to the Fishery Management Plan for the Dolphin and Wahoo Fishery of the Atlantic published on June 9, 2014 (79 FR 32878). Regulations will be effective on July 9, 2014.
- Dolphin Wahoo Amendment 5 will increase the annual catch limits for dolphin and wahoo.
- The annual catch limit for the commercial sector for dolphin will increase by 91,477 pounds whole weight (lbs ww), from 1,065,524 lbs ww to 1,157,001 lbs ww.
- The annual catch limit for the recreational sector for dolphin will increase by 657,153 lbs ww, from 13,530,692 lbs ww to 14,187,845 lbs ww.
- The annual catch limit for the commercial sector for wahoo will increase by 6,395 lbs ww, from 64,147 lbs ww to 70,542 lbs ww.
- The annual catch limit for the recreational sector for wahoo will increase by 296,780 lbs ww, from 1,427,638 lbs ww to 1,724,418 lbs ww.
- The revisions incorporate updates to the recreational data for these species, as per the Marine Recreational Information Program as well as revisions to commercial and for-hire landings.
- Accountability measures for dolphin and wahoo will include a pay-back provision when the total annual catch limit is exceeded and if the stock is overfished.
- Dolphin Wahoo Amendment 5 allows for modifications to catch limits in an efficient manner based on new information about the population.
For more information on the proposed rule for dolphin and wahoo, please follow this link to the Frequently Asked Questions
FB14-041: NOAA Fisheries Announces New Regulations for the Dolphin and Wahoo Fishery of the Atlantic