South Atlantic Fishery Bulletin
Bringing Fishing News to You
FB17-034 - Print
FISHERY BULLETIN ISSUE DATE: June 16, 2017
CONTACT: Sustainable Fisheries (727) 824-5305
Commercial Closure for Snowy Grouper
in South Atlantic Federal Waters on June 22, 2017
- The commercial harvest of snowy grouper in federal waters of the South Atlantic will close at 12:01 a.m. on June 22, 2017. During the commercial closure, all sale or purchase of snowy grouper is prohibited, and harvest or possession of snowy grouper in or from federal waters is limited to the recreational bag and possession limits while the recreational fishery is open.
WHY THIS CLOSURE IS HAPPENING:
- The 2017 commercial catch limit is 135,380 pounds gutted weight, or 159,749 pounds whole weight. Commercial landings are projected to reach the commercial catch limit. According to the accountability measure, harvest should close to prevent the catch limit from being exceeded.
AFTER THE CLOSURE:
- The closure applies in both state and federal waters for vessels that have a federal commercial permit for South Atlantic Snapper-Grouper.
- The prohibition on sale or purchase during a closure for snowy grouper does not apply to fish that were harvested, landed ashore, and sold prior to 12:01 a.m. on June 22, 2017, and were held in cold storage by a dealer or
- The 2018 commercial fishing season for snowy grouper in the South Atlantic will open on January 1, 2018, with a catch limit of 144,315 pounds gutted weight, or 170,291 pounds whole weight.
This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. Full regulations can be found in the Federal Register or at https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text- idx?SID=383bc195ccbeab4fd6bec1c24905df34&node=sp50.12.622.i&rgn=div6#se50.12.622_1 193
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707 Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750