June 10-14, 2013
Hutchinson Island Marriott
555 NE Ocean Boulevard
Stuart, FL 34996
Meeting Postcard (PDF)
Meeting Agenda(posted 5/17;revised 5/20)
Briefing Book Materials (posted 5/23)
Summary Motions (posted after the Council meeting
Tuesday, June 11 at 5:30 PM - Informal Question / Answer Session
Led by NOAA Fisheries Regional Administrator Dr. Roy Crabtree and Chairman David Cupka
Wednesday, June 12 at 5:30 PM - Public Comment
Formal public comment will be accepted on: Snapper Grouper Amendment 30 (Vessel Monitoring Systems). See briefing book materials available at safmc.net for details.
Joint Ecosystem-Based Management/Habitat Committees Meeting
- Coral Amendment 8 - addresses expansion of coral Habitats of Particular Concern (HAPCs) and transit provisions through the Oculina Bank HAPC. The Council is scheduled to approve the amendment for public hearings to be held in August.
Snapper Grouper Committee Meeting
- Amendment 30 - addresses the requirement of a Vessel Monitoring System (VMS) for the commercial snapper grouper fishery in the region. The Council held a series of public hearings in April and will consider approving the amendment for Secretarial review.
- Regulatory Amendment 14 - contains 9 actions dealing with various aspects of snapper grouper species management. Actions include: modifying the commercial fishing year for greater amberjack; changing the measurement method for gray triggerfish; increasing the minimum size limit for hogfish; modifying the commercial and recreational fishing years for black sea bass; changing the commercial fishing season for vermilion snapper; modifying the aggregate grouper bag limit; and revising accountability measures for gag and vermilion snapper. The Council is scheduled to approve the amendment for August public hearings.
- Regulatory Amendment 16 - the amendment is being developed in response to a request from golden tilefish longline fishermen to extend the fishing season and diminish derby conditions in the fishery. Analyses for the action contained in this amendment will be presented to the Council at the June meeting.
Mackerel Committee Meeting
- Joint SA/Gulf Mackerel Amendments 19 - addresses the bag limit sale of king and Spanish mackerel and cobia; potential new commercial permit requirement for cobia; actions to eliminate latent effort in the king mackerel hook-and-line sector; federal regulatory compliance; and income requirements for commercial Coastal Migratory Pelagic permits. The Council is scheduled to approve the amendment for public hearings.
- Joint SA/Gulf Mackerel Amendment 20 - addresses changes in Gulf group king mackerel zones and a transit provision for king mackerel; regional quotas for cobia and king and Spanish mackerel; and modifications to the framework procedure. The Council is scheduled to approve the amendment for August public hearings.