Allowable Biological Catch (ABC) Control Rule
Purpose of Amendment: To modify the ABC Control Rule to address flexibility allowed under the MSA and revise how uncertainty and risk tolerance are addressed in setting ABCs.
Action Summary: modify the ABC Control Rule, including specification of scientific uncertainty and management risk components, application of the Control Rule to rebuilding stocks, criteria and procedures for phase-in of ABC changes, criteria and procedures for carry-over of unused portions of the annual catch limit, and establishment a framework procedure to allow carry-overs.
- December 2016: Council directed staff to begin work on a plan amendment
- 2017 and 2018: Council and SSC provided guidance on various aspects of the amendment
- January 2019: scoping hearings were held
- March 2019: Council reviewed scoping comments
- December 2020 and March 2021: Council provided additional guidance to staff.
- October 2020 and April 2021: SSC reviewed topics related to this amendment and provided recommendations to the Council.
- March 2021: The Council reviewed part of the actions and alternatives language.
- September 2021: Council received additional comments from the SSC, reviewed the remainder of the actions and alternatives language, and provided further guidance for development of the draft amendment.
- June 2022: Council will review a draft amendment and consider approving for public hearings.
- Dr. Mike Schmidtke (email@example.com)
- Pre-Scoping: 2018
- Scoping: January 2019
- Public Hearing:
- Final Approval:
- Secretarial Review:
- Rule Making: