Snapper Grouper Amendment 41 (Mutton Snapper)
Proposed actions: The amendment contains actions to,revise the biological parameters, catch levels, and management measures for mutton snapper. Specifically, the following actions are proposed:
- Specify maximum sustainable yield (MSY) - Preferred Alternative 2
- Specify mimimum stock size threshold (MSST) - Preferred Alternative 3. Minimum stock size threshold = 75% of SSBMSY
- Revise annual catch limits (ACLs) and optimum yield (OY) -Preferred Sub-alternative 2a. ACL = OY = ABC.
- Revise the recreational annual catch target (ACT) - Preferred Sub-alternative 2b. ACT =85% recreational ACL.
- Modify the minimum size limit - Preferred Alternative 3. Increase the minimum size limit for mutton snapper in the South Atlantic region to 18 inches total length.
- Designate spawning months during with certain commercial and recreational management measures would apply for regulatory purposes - Preferred Sub-alternative 2a. April-June
- Modify the recreational bag limit - Preferred Sub-alternative 4c. 5 fish/person/day.
- Modify the commercial trip limit - Preferred Alternative 2c. Establish a commercial trip limit for mutton snapper during the “regular season” (i.e., non-spawning months) in the South Atlantic of 500 pounds whole weight; Preferred Alternative 3f. Specify a commercial trip limit for mutton snapper during the “spawning months” in the South Atlantic with a 5 fish/person/day trip limit.
Most Recent Council Actions:
The Council approved the amendment for formal review by the Secretary of Commerce.
GET INVOLVED –
- Read Most Recent Amendment Document
- Submit Comments – click here
- Read Online Comments – click here
- Read Other Comments
- Pre-Scoping: December 2015
- Scoping: January 2016
- Public Hearing: August 2016
- Final Approval:
- Secretarial Review: February 2017
- Rule Making: January 2018