Snapper Grouper Amendment 44
Joint amendment with Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council
- Possible actions include:
- Revise ABC for yellowtail stock (single stock across SA and Gulf) based on latest assessment and ABC recommendation from both SSCs that includes MRIP-FES revisions
- Revise jurisdictional allocation between SAFMC and GMFMC
- Revise Total ACLs for both regions
- Revise sector allocations for the SA
The Council received the results of SEDAR 64 for Yellowtail Snapper in December 2020 and received the Scientific & Statistical Committee’s recommendations for an Acceptable Biological Catch (ABC). The Council directed staff to initiate an amendment jointly with the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council to adopt the new catch level recommendations.
The amendment would also include an action to apportion the total Annual Catch Limit between the South Atlantic and the Gulf. During the 2021 June meeting, the Council received the APs input on the fishery’s performance, a fishery overview, and a draft options paper including actions previously considered in Amendments 44 (2017-2018) and Regulatory Amendment 32 (2018), a tentative timeline for development, and a preliminary look at jurisdictional apportionment and sector allocations (SA only) based on the recommended ABC. The amendment will be developed jointly with the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council during 2021 with the intent to consider for approval in Spring 2022.
GET INVOLVED –
- Pre-Scoping: September 2021
- Public Hearing:
- Final Approval:
- Secretarial Review:
- Rule Making: