Coastal Migratory Pelagics Amendment 34 (formerly Coastal Migratory Pelagics Framework Amendment 10)
King Mackerel Catch Levels and Allocations
Purpose of Amendment: in June 2020 the Council received the results of the SEDAR 38 Update for King Mackerel. Atlantic King Mackerel were determined to be neither overfished nor was overfishing occurring. This amendment will update catch levels based on the SSC recommendations and make modifications to management measures aimed at increasing interest in the king mackerel fishery.
Action Summary: adoption of new catch level recommendations; sector allocations; recreational ACT; recreational bag limit; requirement to land with heads and fins intact.
- June 2020: amendment development initiated.
- November 2020: Mackerel Cobia AP met to discuss SSC recommendations and potential actions.
- March 2021: scoping held during the Council meeting.
- April: Mackerel Cobia AP discussed actions and alternatives.
- June 2021: Gulf Council reviewed amendment.
- September 2021: South Atlantic Council approved amendment for public hearings.
- October 2021: Gulf Council to review amendment, select preferred alternatives, approve for public hearings.
- November 2021: Public Hearings
- December 2021: South Atlantic Council reviewed public hearing comments and removed actions addressing the Atlantic king mackerel minimum size limit.
- March 2022: South Atlantic Council scheduled to take final action.
- April 2022: Gulf Council scheduled to take final action.
Christina Wiegand (email@example.com)
Public Comments –
- Pre-Scoping: November 2020
- Scoping: March 2021
- Public Hearing:
- Final Approval:
- Secretarial Review:
- Rule Making: