Coral Amendment 10
(Allowable Fishing Areas for Deep Water Shrimp)
Purpose of the Amendment: To establish a Shrimp Fishery Access area along the western boundary of the northern extension of the Oculina Bank Habitat Area of Particular Concern (OHAPC) where fishing for rock shrimp would be allowed. The area under consideration was once utilized by the fishery but access to it was restricted with implementation of Coral Amendment 8 in 2014.
Action Summary: to establish an area within the existing OHAPC where rock shrimp fishing would be allowed to restore access to historic grounds to the fishery while maintaining protection for Oculina coral.
- September 2019: the Council directed staff to remove actions related to CHAPCs from the joint amendment with Golden Crab Amendment 10 and Shrimp Amendment 11.
- September 2020: the Council recommended including a single action to consider establishing a shrimp fishery access area along the eastern boundary of the northern extension of the Oculina Bank CHAPC.
- October 2020: An options paper was reviewed by the Habitat and Ecosystem, Coral, and Deepwater Shrimp Advisory Panels.
- December 2020. The Council received comments from the Advisory Panels and approved the amendment for scoping.
- February 2021: Scoping meetings were held via Webinar on February 8 and 9.
- March 2021: the Council approved Coral Amendment 10 for public hearings as modified.
- May 2021: Public hearings were held on May 12-13.
- September 2021: the Council approved Amendment 10 for submission to the Secretary of Commerce.
Roger Pugliese (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Documents & Public Comments –
- Pre-Scoping: November 2020
- Scoping: February 2021
- Public Hearing: May 2021
- Final Approval: September 2021
- Secretarial Review:
- Rule Making: