

# **SOUTH ATLANTIC FISHERY MANAGEMENT COUNCIL**

## **VISIONING WORKSHOP**

**Doubletree Grand Key Resort  
Key West, Florida**

**June 8, 2015**

### **SUMMARY MINUTES**

#### **Council Members:**

Dr. Michelle Duval, Chair  
Robert Beal  
Anna Beckwith  
Chester Brewer  
Chris Conklin  
Dr. Jack McGovern  
Dr. Wilson Laney  
Charlie Phillips

Ben Hartig  
Mel Bell  
Zack Bowen  
Mark Brown  
Jack Cox  
Doug Haymans  
Jessica McCawley

#### **Council Staff:**

Bob Mahood  
Kim Iverson  
Roger Pugliese  
Dr. Mike Errigo  
Chip Collier  
John Carmichael  
Julie O'Dell

Gregg Waugh  
Amber Von Harten  
Myra Brouwer  
Dr. Kari MacLauchlin  
Dr. Brian Chevront  
Mike Collins

#### **Participants/Observers:**

Rick DeVictor  
Dr. George Sedberry  
Pat Geer  
Erika Burgess

Monica Smit-Brunello  
Capt. David Dipre  
Brett Boston

Additional Observers Attached

The Visioning Workshop of the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council convened in the Tortuga Ballroom, Doubletree Grand Key Resort, Key West, Florida, June 8, 2015, and was called to order at 8:30 o'clock a.m. by Chairman Michelle Duval.

DR. DUVAL: We're going to go ahead and get started. Welcome to the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council Snapper Grouper Visioning Workshop. We're getting started a little bit earlier than we usually do. One of the things that I've been told by members of the public who are listening online to the webinar is that it is often difficult to identify who is talking. I was wondering if we could just go around the horn and just state your name and what state you're from.

MR. BOWEN: Zack Bowen; Georgia representative.

MR. CONKLIN: Chris Conklin; South Carolina.

MR. BROWN: Mark Brown; South Carolina.

MR. BELL: Mel Bell; South Carolina.

MR. PHILLIPS: Charlie Phillips; Georgia.

MR. COX: Jack Cox; commercial, North Carolina.

DR. LANEY: Wilson Laney. I'm from North Carolina, but I represent the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service on the council.

MS. VON HARTEN: Amber Von Harten; council staff.

DR. DUVAL: Michelle Duval; North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries.

MR. HAYMANS: Doug Haymans; Georgia DNR.

MS. BECKWITH: Anna Beckwith; North Carolina.

MR. HARTIG: Ben Hartig; Florida.

MS. BURGESS: Erika Burgess; Florida FWC staff.

MS. McCRAWLEY: Jessica McCawley; Florida FWC.

MR. BREWER: Chester Brewer; Florida.

MR. BEAL: Bob Beal; ASMFC.

MS. SMIT-BRUNELLO: Monica Smit-Brunello; NOAA General Counsel.

DR. McGOVERN: Jack McGovern; NOAA Fisheries.

DR. DUVAL: I really appreciate that and I think folks who are listening on the webinar are going to appreciate it as well. If everybody will pull up their agenda, we're just going to do a little bit of a recap of our March Visioning Workshop. Then we're going to run through the draft vision blueprint statements for our four different Strategic Goal Documents.

We're going to go through the public input materials and strategies, and then we're going to discuss the public input schedule and the different types of approaches that we're using for public input. With that, I am going to turn things over to Amber.

MS. VON HARTEN: In March we finished looking at the last couple of strategic goal documents; communication and governance, and revisited the science and management goal documents. You gave us some more feedback of language changes and condensing of some of the strategies.

The Attachments 1 through 4 in this briefing book are reflective of all those changes that you requested, so we can just quickly go through those. Actually I think the science one didn't have any changes at all. Mainly it was just the management strategic goal. If you would like to look at science one last time, now would be – and remember this is like the last time you're going to have a chance to look at the draft documents before we go out for public input starting after this meeting.

That is what we'll also spend the rest of our time today talking about is the public input schedule and our strategies and some of the promotional materials that we're going to use to send out to permit holders and set up those meeting dates and locations. If you want to go through the science one just to have a look at it; here is the science strategic goal. And again if there is any changes to this intro language – I know Mel had e-mailed me yesterday. I don't know if you want to talk about what you said.

MR. BELL: My point was just in that first paragraph where it talks about the strategic plan called the Vision Blueprint consists of four strategic goals and then it lists the four; my suggestion was that those words themselves are not the goals; there are goals. Those are the four areas of focus. I had suggested to Amber just some rewording of the sentence to say that basically you have goals in these four focused areas. That is kind of just wordsmithing, but those words themselves are not the goals. You actually have a goal for each of those. That was just my suggestion.

DR. DUVAL: That is great, Mel; that is absolutely correct.

MR. HARTIG: Just one thing. This is a public process and I think it needs to be highlighted in the first paragraph. If somebody reads the first paragraph, there is nothing about the public in there. To me when you start reading something and the public is the focus of what we're doing, I think somewhere in there the public process needs to be mentioned.

MS. VON HARTEN: Okay, do you think we should say something about the port meetings? It does talk about the 26 informal meetings, but just something more explicit that this was kind of a ground-up process?

MR. HARTIG: Yes; I don't know how explicit you need to get. You do a really good job in the next paragraph explaining how we do it. I just think if somewhere just public is mentioned in that first paragraph is all I was looking for. Like I say, you've done a really good job in the next paragraph stating how we've done everything, so just somewhere public in the first one.

DR. DUVAL: Perhaps we can think about that a little bit and let Amber come back with something.

MS. VON HARTEN: Again, these science goals really did not change much from our last look at these. If you have any ideas or thoughts about things that need to be changed or added, now would be the time.

MR. BELL: Maybe this is just getting too much into the wordsmithing, but I noticed the whole thing is all about the snapper grouper fishery; but in some specific objective or in some areas we mention snapper grouper fishery specifically and most we don't. That might just be something you want to standardize one way or the other, either incorporate it consistently in the different levels or just take it out since everything is about snapper grouper fishery.

MS. VON HARTEN: That is a good point, Mel, because I remember last meeting also Erika had said we should probably include snapper grouper in all of the goals, so I did actually add this to all of the goal statements, the major overarching goal statements, snapper grouper, so that everybody kind of knew. Maybe we need to remove it from the objectives and strategies?

MR. BELL: You could do that and that would just make it more consistent, because it is in some of them and most of them it is not; so one way or the other.

DR. DUVAL: Also included in the header of each of these strategic goal blueprints is an indication that it was also for the snapper grouper fishery. That was one of the things that came up as well.

DR. LANEY: I have no problem with that. I will just reiterate though what I think I said last time, which is that a lot of the science that we do, even though it is within the context of looking specifically at the snapper grouper fishery, is going to benefit other council-managed and ASMFC-managed species, especially the habitat part that we do.

DR. DUVAL: Absolutely. Are there any other specific comments on the draft science blueprint? If not, then we'll go ahead and take a quick run through management. This is probably the one where it is the biggest area of focus, obviously. This is the one where we've had the most suggestions and modifications and edits previously, trying to streamline this so that we reduced the repetitive nature of some of the draft strategies that pertain to many different objectives within that blueprint.

MS. VON HARTEN: Yes, so the first edits that you'll see are actually in Objective 1, Strategy 1.1. Action A, I kind of condensed that based on your feedback to make them not so species-specific. That is the change there. Then at the last workshop you added C, which is the strategy talking about some type of tool to gauge snapper grouper fishery stakeholder support before implementing any type of IFQ or catch share or whatever type of program, so that has been added.

Then the next change came under Objective 2, Strategy 2.2 on Page 3. You had a discussion about adding a strategy dealing with effort to look at a possible privately funded buy-out program for the commercial sector, for those that were interested. Then Objective 3, Strategy 3.1 is talking about fishing-dependent businesses.

D and E are new ones that say consider new entrants to endorsement programs and consider the value of owner/operators in the fishery when making management decisions. These were some strategies that came directly from the port meetings. Then Strategy 3.2 is the one I really need for you to look at; because this is a brand new strategy that kind of addressed recreational fishing opportunity and trip satisfaction that Anna helped craft here.

A is talking about effort control strategies with a variety of different options available, setting fishing seasons with post-season adjustments for the following season, in-season and post-season bag limit adjustments instead of closures, setting fishing seasons for co-occurring species, setting bag limits that support participation, so looking at some of those aggregate bag limits.

Then the next few are all brand new, and I'm not sure if I have the wording how it needs to be for these; so consider mechanisms based on abundance and availability of easily accessible species; consider development of artificial reefs or special management zones for the recreational sector only; consider development of species-complex-specific permits similar to the existing HMS permit; consider number of days allowed to fish versus bag limits for the recreational sector and aggregate daily bag limits for the recreational sector with no size limit.

DR. DUVAL: You'll notice the asterisk there; that a lot of these also apply to retention strategies and reducing discards. Again, we're just trying to note where there is overlap in some of these things. Are there any comments or suggestions on those?

DR. LANEY: Just one question, I guess. For a lot of these, do I presume correctly they would be somewhat tied to our ability to monitor things during the period of time the fishery is occurring? Maybe that somewhat relates back to our ability to monitor things as well or maybe NMFS' ability to monitor things. If you are going to do in-season adjustments especially; do I read that correctly?

DR. DUVAL: Certainly, there are many of these that would absolutely be dependent on the ability of the agency to monitor things. I'm sure we would hear more about that as we come back together in October and we make some decisions about the types of actions and strategies we want to take moving forward.

MS. VON HARTEN: Okay, moving on, Objective 5, Strategy 5.2. These were some that were specifically mentioned during port meetings that you decided to explicitly add, and that is to consider the use of sunset clauses for existing and newly created marine protected areas and also consider no new MPAs, which is something that we heard from stakeholders during the port meetings.

Objective 6, Strategy 6.1, D talks about considering time-based approaches for allocation decisions, so looking at reallocation every certain number of years based on the past certain number of years. That would be decided I guess based on a case-by-case basis.

DR. DUVAL: Just in regard to that specifically, I've been mentioning several times that the Council Coordination Committee has an allocation workgroup that has been working on a variety of trigger-based mechanisms for when you would consider review of existing allocations, and I am happy to report that the draft of that is completed and has been sent to the Gulf Council, who is in charge of the Council Coordination Committee meeting this year.

If you go to the Gulf Council's webpage, they do have a link to the CCC meeting, which is happening week after next back down here. We'll be discussing that more; but if folks want to take a look at that, the draft for that is complete. What the CCC Workgroup did is they looked at time-based mechanisms, public intra-space mechanisms, and indicator-based triggers actually for when a council might reconsider an allocation or when it would review an allocation.

Is there an indicator-based trigger, is there a time-based trigger; which doesn't necessarily take into account changes in the fishery? It just says every X number of years we are going to review our allocation. I say that all as background that might be helpful for folks as we move forward as part of the visioning process for looking at allocations.

There is a companion document that the National Marine Fisheries Service Workgroup has put together, which discusses factors to be considered when establishing allocation. I think those two pieces of background information will be important for the council as we move forward. I am very happy that they are being reviewed by the full CCC and will have some level of completion this year. If you go to the Gulf Council's website, I think there is a link on the right-hand side of the homepage that notes the Council Coordination Committee site. There is a briefing book there; and those materials I believe have been posted.

MS. VON HARTEN: You can access it from our website, too. There is a link on the other meetings' page. The last change to the management document is under Strategy 6.2, and it is another allocation strategy that says before reallocation consider managing for abundance of recreationally important and easily accessible species. That is it for management.

The next we'll look at is communication, and there were just a couple of things there that were pretty straightforward. One is in Objective 1, Strategy 1.3, and that was C and D; consider the use of informal polls and surveys to take input on a specific management action or direction being considered by the council.

The intent of that is to do that before council starts to develop and take an action, so kind of a way to gauge public interest or perception on a particular issue. Then D is work with existing online fishing forums to collect input on a specific topic. The last thing that was added was under Objective 2, Strategy 2.1. This was you recognized the importance to continue traditional means of communication.

I know a lot of this document focuses on web-based and online communication and outreach, but we also need to make sure that we still do some print stuff and traditional forms of communication. That's it for communication; moving on to governance.

DR. LANEY: You and I discussed this before. I know this focuses mostly on the methodologies and process, but I didn't want us to overlook the fact that – you know, I did my “find” thing

again, and the word “habitat” is not in here anywhere in communication. I just wanted to request that as we’re developing the communication tools and message that we do try and put in some of the concepts that I think are very familiar to all of us around the table and we talk about them all the time.

But I don’t think we have in the past really tried to pursue the public understanding of those concepts, things like the fact that habitat is not an infinite thing. Although we can possibly add habitat through artificial reefs, which we’ve got well plugged in here I think, but also concepts like the fact that ocean acidification may have ripple effects that ripple up through the food chain and the fact that fish don’t have an infinite capacity for reproduction in contrast to what some of our stakeholders seem to think, too; so just making sure we don’t lose the habitat message during our communication process.

DR. DUVAL: That is an excellent point.

MS. VON HARTEN: For governance a couple of things that were added are under Objective 2, Strategy 2.1, and that is Number E, and that says identify non-traditional partnerships and sources of funding to support fishery science, research and management activities. Then under Objective 3; establish clear ground rules and process for public meetings held by the council to improve stakeholder engagement.

DR. DUVAL: Any comments on the governance piece and any of those changes that we’ve updated? There was one more piece of information that Amber put together, which was actually a glossary of terms I think; and I believe that is Attachment 5 in the briefing book under this tab. But just to make sure that we all sort of operate in this world of acronyms and it is not always clear to our stakeholders what we’re talking about; we just want to make sure that they have that basis for understanding.

MS. VON HARTEN: Yes; this glossary has several sources; one of them being the Snapper Grouper Fishery Management Plan Glossary, also the NOAA Fisheries Glossary; and because we had some citizen science type terms in here, I also took some information from the Citizens Science Direct Website in terms of definitions. Hopefully, these are some of the terms that are used throughout the goal documents that people may or may not know about and will help explain some of the terms that are used.

DR. DUVAL: I think if anyone sees anything that is missing, please let Amber know. Wilson.

DR. LANEY: I had a question about the bycatch definition – and this may be putting my ASMFC hat on too much, Bob; but there are allowable bycatches of species in some fisheries that are sold or kept for personal use. I don’t know how important it is to make that point, but there are exceptions, I guess. Again, I will just throw that out there. We might want to say that there are some fisheries in which there is an allowable retention and sale of by-caught species.

DR. DUVAL: No; that is a good point, and that is certainly something we’ve had a lot of discussion about in terms of allowing for some “bycatch limit” as a species approaches its particular AC. We do have bycatch caps for a couple of jointly federally managed species with ASMFC. I’m thinking specifically of like the Atlantic herring and mackerel fisheries where there is a bycatch cap for shad and river herring.

MR. BREWER: Following up on what Wilson said; maybe we could add a point about outreach to the public, government agencies or fishing clubs for suggested projects or areas of concern with regard to habitat restoration or artificial reefing projects and get the public involved in that way.

MS. VON HARTEN: For the communication strategic goal? Yes.

MR. COX: Amber, I was just looking in the glossary and I don't see anything on SMZ; unless I'm overlooking it, so you may want to add that one.

MR. BELL: Mark and I were talking here. Given the recent attention on some of the BOEM initiatives related to oil, gas exploration and eventually wherever that leads; perhaps this ties into habitat or ecosystems. Under science in Strategy 5.2, we talk about consider climate change impacts; but do we want to maybe specifically – since that is sort of in the public realm very visibly now; do we want to mention something about just making sure we have proper input related to those sorts of initiatives?

I don't know, maybe that would go under science; but that is something that has kind of come – since we started this process a couple years ago; it is something that has kind of come to the forefront in terms of public interest and visibility. It might be worth it just mentioning it in there somewhere.

MS. VON HARTEN: You think it should go under science or communication or both?

MR. BELL: Perhaps both. I was just looking at the science one and we mentioned ecosystems and habitat, and we also mentioned to consider climate change in there. That is something that can have the potential to impact both ecosystems and the fishery. Maybe that would be the best place to put it; just a thought.

DR. LANEY: One other thing I was going to mention that we could communicate would be threats; what are the common threats? I think we may mention that in here somewhere, but I don't remember specifically where.

DR. DUVAL: Anything else on the glossary or anything? If you do happen to think of another term that we've missed like SMZ that needs to be included, don't hesitate to let Amber know. If there is nothing else on these draft vision blueprints; then our next item of business is to go through the public input promotional materials and some of the strategies, which are I believe Attachment 6 and 7 in the briefing book.

MS. VON HARTEN: Okay; so the next step in this process is for us to collect public input this summer before the September council meeting. We've had some discussions about how you would like to do that and trying to keep the strategies as similar as they were to the port meetings, because those were such good meetings. I've put together this draft flyer that we'll mail out to all the snapper grouper permit holders, including the for-hire permit holders as well.

It is similar in nature to the port meeting flyer, and I tried to keep it just simple in terms of how we got here, what is in the draft vision blueprint, what we want from them when they come to



these public input sessions; so what action items they support and why and what action items they do not support and why and any other solutions or ideas they may have at this point.

Then the four different ways that people can participate; so we have talked about doing live webinars. The first round of webinars will be strategic goal-oriented, so we'll have a webinar on each of those strategic goals where we can actually get into the details of the strategic goal document; so that when we have the comment stations, we don't have to go through every objective and strategy.

Hopefully, people will have read through those or participated in one of the preliminary webinars and then are ready to come in and talk with us during the comment stations. The next thing is the comment stations, which will be the next thing we talk about is kind of narrowing down dates and locations. These are kind of the tentative dates; and we will talk about that in a minute.

Then also we wanted to have another written comment form online similar to what we did with the port meetings. That is the next attachment we'll have a look at. Then when we go out for public hearing in August for some of the other amendments, we've talked about possibly having an hour, hour and a half specifically allotted to have folks come and talk to us about visioning. That would be kind of our in-person round of input. If you like this, if you don't like it, now is the time to change it.

DR. DUVAL: Are there comments for Amber?

MR. HARTIG: Yes, it is great; you did a really good job. I like the way it is put together. The only thing I would add is under submit written comments online, somewhere submit a letter that doesn't have to be online addressed to the council office. That is the only thing I would add.

DR. DUVAL: Other comments on the flyer? I echo Ben's praise; I think you did a great job of trying to keep this to one succinct page and to the point; something that people can understand.

MS. VON HARTEN: For any kind of e-mail type of comments, we would really like for people to use this web comment form. I know during the port meeting we had an e-mail address, but truthfully it is so much easier for me to compile the information because this goes directly into an Excel spreadsheet. Then I can sort it and do all kinds of fun stuff with key word searches and things like that. That is what we would really like to use if people are going to submit e-mail comments.

MR. BELL: The live webinars; that is the similar format that we used last time with the multiple stations and they were facilitated by different people; and then is that the same as or different from the local comment stations? Are those the same?

MS. VON HARTEN: They are the same; we just wanted to make sure people knew that there was an opportunity to come sit in person with a council member. The webinars from July 13th through the 30th are those facilitated webinars by staff in Charleston, but then council members will be at those comment stations moderating, facilitating. I think they went fairly well; I feel like. Hopefully, we'll get more people that will come out, but, yes, that is the idea.

DR. DUVAL: I think I see where Mel is going with this. In the first box on the lower left you have July 13 through 30, facilitated webinar series on draft vision blueprint with the staff and council members; maybe after “webinar series” you could put in parentheses “local comment station” or just “comment station”, and that way people understand when they get to the next box that this is the more specific information about those.

MR. CONKLIN: The only thing that stands out to me; and I know this really doesn't have anything to do with the information, but the words at the top are science, management, communication and governance. To me the pictures should go along with that like –

DR. DUVAL: You mean you don't like all the dead fish lying out there next to the communication box?

MR. CONKLIN: Well, like the communication one, yes, dead fish can't talk so maybe we should have a different picture there of like a port meeting or something like that. Then governance, I guess that red snapper is fine there; but management, nobody likes to see boats tied to the dock in the management picture. That is just what stood out to me.

DR. DUVAL: I think those are great comments, Chris, to have the pictures sort of tie maybe a little bit more to the words; so great input.

MS. VON HARTEN: Yes; it was kind of hard to figure out what kind of governance picture to put other than a boring meeting picture. But, yes, in my defense it was definitely done before last Friday. I'll change those out.

DR. DUVAL: I think that is great feedback on the flyer, so this will go out to all permit holders; both commercial and for-hire. Will this also go out to the folks for whom we captured information from the first round of port meetings?

MS. VON HARTEN: Yes; we can probably send it out via e-mail. I don't necessarily have mailing addresses for all of those folks because they didn't put it on the sign-in sheet. But, yes, I have specific e-mail lists targeted for each of the port meeting participants.

DR. DUVAL: Great; so if there is nothing else on that, then I think the next thing we wanted to review was the web comment form.

MS. VON HARTEN: Like I said, very similar to the port meeting comment form that is on our website right now. It is just a simple this is the purpose, how will this vision blueprint be used by the council, and then instructions. We wanted to just keep it simple in terms of just figuring out what state they are from and then maybe how they participate in the fishery.

Any general comments, they can plug into a box and just type. Then they can also click on – if they have specific comments about any of the four strategies, they can click on each tab and type in comments. I can work with our web developers to reformat the port meeting form for this purpose.

DR. DUVAL: This is really pretty similar to what we had for the first go around. Monica, I don't want to put you on the spot, but I'll put you on the spot. We just want to make sure that

we're not running afoul of any type of OMB restrictions or anything like that with regard to this web comment form. I think you and Amber had talked previously; the first go around last year about that.

MS. SMIT-BRUNELLO: I don't mind being put on the spot on this one; because I see no problem with taking the same track that we did before. I see no problem with putting this out there. I don't think it runs afoul of the Paperwork Reduction Act or any other kind of OMB type of restriction. I think it looks good.

MR. HARTIG: How many characters; do you limit the number of characters in any of these boxes? Okay, great; I hate that.

MS. VON HARTEN: I will be kind of reformatting the visioning project page on our website with all this information kind of to the top of the page so people can go right to it and have a one-stop shop about all the information they need for all the different public input, opportunities, the flyer, the comment form; all of that.

DR. DUVAL: I think one of the things that we mentioned at the workgroup level was we have the state summaries from the port meetings. I couldn't remember if they were a little bit further down.

MS. VON HARTEN: The form would be here under the visioning project page, and then all this is going to get moved around. Here is the port meeting summary; they are kind of right there at the top. Then the sector summaries; and then all of the briefing books from all of our workshops are all here if you ever need to reference them.

DR. DUVAL: Great; so the next big thing, if there are no more comments on the web form, the flyer is really a discussion of public input and scheduling. I think that is kind of the big thing. I know Amber has been touching base with folks about setting up the comment station similar to what we did for Amendment 36 for the SMZs in different places. I think we're probably at different levels of having those finalized in different areas, but we should have some discussion also about the in-person piece of that as well.

MS. VON HARTEN: Maybe it is easier for us just to look at the calendar view. This is Attachment 8, the last attachment. This will give me a couple of weeks to kind of get everything finalized and up on the website and ready for public input. We'll start the first full week of July with the strategic goal-oriented webinars. Actually this is probably going to shift to 7, 8, and 9.

We'll do the science webinar on Tuesday, July 7th, one on the 8th, and one on the 9th. The one on the 9<sup>th</sup>, we'll do communication and governance together since they are kind of short. My question to you is do you think we should do two of these per day, like maybe one during the day that people could listen to and then one in the evening again? The format of these will be where we go into more detail into the strategic goal documents kind of point by point, so people can really get into the meat of it and see what is in these documents.

MR. BELL: If you want to maximize input and availability to the public, if you can handle like an a.m. and a p.m. version, that wouldn't be a bad item. Those will be run out of council offices?

MS. VON HARTEN: Yes; I'll have a presentation and kind of go slide by slide through the objectives, strategies, and then people will have the opportunity to raise their hand on the webinar and give comment. Are you thinking like maybe a 10:00 a.m. and then a 6:00 p.m. kind of time slot?

DR. DUVAL: How do other folks feel about having two time slots for these things; one during the day one in the evening? Personally, I like it. I know that people have different schedules and I've gotten some complaints from fishermen lately about, well, I'm out on the water if the weather is good, so why isn't this being held at six o'clock. Sometimes you have to explain that sometimes these meetings have to occur during the day during business hours, but providing specific public comment opportunities in the evening.

MR. COX: Yes; I think a couple times a day definitely works, but I don't know if it is possible to maybe do it the same webinar maybe a different day of the week just for the guys that are out on the ocean fishing. I know the commercial guys are out mostly all day or two days at a time; just something to think about. I know you've got a lot on your workload.

MS. VON HARTEN: One thing that we could do is we could record the presentation and then they could watch it. I don't know; would they watch it, maybe?

MR. COX: We just hear a lot of the guys that can't make the webinars because they are offshore. Yes; that is a good idea.

MR. HARTIG: You mentioned recording. I think that is probably a really good idea, because having the fishermen sit for three days through; that is a lot to ask. I was thinking about combining science and webinar into one. I know there is a lot in each of them, but realistically to get a fisherman to sit there for three different nights to be able to go through this whole series of things; it is not going to happen. The recordings you mentioned; that would get around it so they could go back and look at the recordings of those. That would be a good way to do it.

DR. DUVAL: We've done that in the past with some of our other webinars where staff has actually recorded the presentation so that folks can go back and review that later. I agree; I think that is an excellent approach to do something like that.

MS. VON HARTEN: Well, and I can even record them before these webinars happen, and then they are on the website and people can look at them at their leisure.

DR. LANEY: I like the idea of having two sessions, for sure, morning and evening. The only question I had is six too early? I know it imposes more of a hardship on staff the later you push it, but I'm just thinking people get off work, maybe they want to go have dinner or something like that. Then is seven o'clock more realistic? I don't know, just a thought about when in the evening you would generate maximum participation.

MR. BROWN: Yes; I think the recording is a good idea. I think the time is so valuable to so many people. I find myself having a hard time finding time to do different things that I want to do. But if you had it recorded and maybe sent out some information on where it was located on the website or whatever, or you watch this, and try to condense it down, too, if you can. Condense it as much so it is not as long. I think that would hold their attention a lot better, too.

MR. BELL: I was just going to agree with Wilson; if we could handle seven, six is kind of that transitional time when people are trying to get home for work or that sort of thing. Seven just might be a little easier. I realize it is a little harder on staff, but it probably would work better for the public.

DR. LANEY: The other big competing event during that timeslot, too, that six-to-seven timeslot at least in the eastern time zone is the evening news that some of us like to watch.

DR. DUVAL: Other thoughts around the table about times during the day? I think it is pretty clear that everybody would like to see a recording of the presentation that could be posted online ahead of time, maybe before these topic-based webinars occur, and then any other thoughts on a 6:00 p.m. versus a 7:00 p.m. start time? I think of fishermen coming in; I don't know.

MR. BROWN: Just from my perspective, probably seven would be better.

MS. VON HARTEN: Yes we can do 10:00 to noon and then 7:00 to 9:00, if they are going to be full two hours. They may not be full two hours; it may just be like an hour and a half. Ben had mentioned maybe do you think we should combine science and management and communication and governance and just have two nights or two days? Since we are going to record them, it is maybe not much of an issue?

MR. HARTIG: To that point; since you are going to record them, you can do them however you want to do them.

MS. VON HARTEN: I just worry because the management one has so much in it. It might take us a full hour to go through it. The next thing is the combined webinars and comment stations. I had reached out to each of the state contingencies to check dates at least in terms of weeks that might be good, and this is kind of what we came up with.

FWC is doing a complete amazing roadshow in July throughout the whole state, so this was one of the few weeks, the week of the 13th that they would not be on the east coast, and Jessica had asked if we could maybe not coincide those together. The Florida ones need to happen the week of the 13th.

Then South Carolina and Georgia; we'll probably just do two nights in each state possibly, so the week of the 20th is kind of the best date for those folks. Then the week of the 27th will be North Carolina, and we actually have all of those already ironed out. We're going to do three of those; one in Manteo, one in Morehead, and one in Wilmington.

We've partnered with the Sea Grant Program in North Carolina to help us provide meeting space. Just keep that in mind that could be another option in some of the other states as well. What we need to do at this point is actually at least get the cities that you want to have them, because we have a deadline with the Federal Register Notice.

Because we're doing these webinars the week of the 6th, the Federal Register Notice; I need to get it to Kim, probably today. When we did the port meeting FRN, we kind of kept it broad and we were okay with that. I think if we don't have the specific meeting venues; that is okay. As long as we have dates and possible cities, we can do that. North Carolina is taken care of; but if

we could hammer out Florida and Georgia and South Carolina, that would be great, so whoever wants to start first.

MR. HAYMANS: Mel, do you have an idea of whether you want to go Monday/Tuesday or Wednesday/Thursday?

MR. BELL: I think it depends on if we're going to try to do one in Murrells Inlet, maybe? If we want to do one in Fort Johnson, the auditorium is open that whole week. We can just pick any date we want if we want to do that. But Murrells Inlet, we would be looking at a private vendor I guess to work with. Chris might speak to that.

MR. CONKLIN: I think we need to try and figure out what kind of participation we've had at Fort Johnson. From my recollection, it has never been very good. We get more in Bluffton and we get it good up on the north end too. If we could have one in Murrells Inlet; that would be great. There is a good facility there.

It is linked up to the internet and everything; it wouldn't be a problem and I think we would get folks from the Little River area as well and a couple from Georgetown. We could try and maximize the participation from that. As far as the day goes, it doesn't matter to me. I'm always working so no problem.

MR. HAYMANS: I'll throw out, if it is okay with Charlie and Zack, that we'll do Wednesday/Thursday, because I am on the road the whole week before that and I am on the road three weeks in a row actually; so I would prefer to have a couple of days off. We will do Shellman and Brunswick considering the fact that the folks who attended the Savannah meeting all have something to do with the council now on various APs. Now you want to know specific locations, right? Okay if we take a break in the next few minutes, I will make those phone calls and make sure we have those specific locations.

MS. McCAWLEY: Okay, we were thinking for Florida, St. Augustine. In the Keys we're thinking Marathon; maybe Key Colony, somewhere in that area. That is the Middle Keys; Stuart maybe towards the southern end; and either Titusville or the Ponce Inlet area; those four locations.

MR. BELL: How far south are you going to go in North Carolina for yours?

DR. DUVAL: Wilmington. We're actually holding it in conjunction with UNC-W at the Center for Marine Science; so down the\ Masonboro Loop Road, so it is actually kind of at the southern end of the city; sort of on the way out towards Carolina Beach.

MR. BELL: Okay, we were just kind of debating if we wanted to do like Murrells and then maybe come up to Little River or something. There is a concentration of people up there; that is one reason to do that. Wilmington might be close enough to cover your southern spot or not. We could come up to Little River, maybe.

DR. DUVAL: I know that we had one of our port meetings in Southport and Shallotte, and we got some participation from folks from Little River when we held the meeting in Shallotte, which

is a good hour from Wilmington even when you're talking about the southern end. That is just something you can take into consideration.

I think we don't necessarily need to debate the locations right here; but if you guys can talk amongst yourself and maybe get back with Amber; that would be good. I think the other thing I wanted to discuss in terms of the comment listening stations was sort of some lessons learned. We used this listening station format. We tried it out for the first round of input on spawning special management zones in various areas.

We certainly had I think the liveliest crowd in North Carolina probably. For folks who took a look at those transcripts, I felt like it was really productive. Jack did an awesome job of bringing those guys out. I think we had great information exchange, we really did. I think what some of us had spoken about afterwards was really trying to coral the crowd, so to speak, to make sure that everybody has the opportunity to provide their input and that it is clear enough so that for Joe to be able to transcribe those meetings; making sure the people mention their names.

It does put a lot on the council members who are helping to facilitate that to make sure that folks understand that there is a difference between the question-and-answer type of period and then also providing formal input. Now, one of the things that we talked about with these comment listening stations for the visioning blueprint that is a little bit different than what we discussed for the spawning SMZs input was if it was possible to have another council staff member there who could be taking notes.

Similar to what we did during the port meetings where there was a rapporteur there at each of these locations, so that Amber and Myra or Amber and Julia, whomever was facilitating the in-person port meeting, wasn't having to actually worry about trying to capture the comments that were being made.

We're using a virtual approach, but at least at the workgroup level we talked about that being something very useful; because a lot of times fishermen don't – they felt much more comfortable in that type of port meeting setting, not having to state your name for the record sort of thing. But I think folks are willing to let someone speak, and then go around the room so that everybody can provide their input. Names are not necessarily important for this round of public input on these listening stations.

We just want to make sure that we're capturing the ideas that they have, the things that they think should be in the vision blueprint, and why and the things that they don't think should be in the vision blueprint and why. That was sort of operationally that was something that we had discussed.

I think that is probably slightly different than how we were trying to operate things during the spawning SMZ input. I just wanted to throw that out there. The idea would be if Amber is running the webinar and there is another staff member who could be available to simply listen and capture notes as a rapporteur and the council members who are in the actual locations are making sure that everybody has the opportunity to provide some input. We don't necessarily need names. We can have a sign-in sheet just like we did; but someone doesn't have to state their name for the record before they speak. I just wanted to see what folks think about that.

MR. COX: One of the things that I've learned since I've been on the council is fishermen are going to come out to these small meetings with council members and they are much more comfortable in that kind of setting where they can just get things off their chest. They can have discussions and they can just air things out rather than getting them out to a meeting like this because it is so formal. I think it is something that we should look at ongoing in the council process in doing these types of things.

MR. HARTIG: What happened in our meeting was you had the formal public comment on the SMZs; and then after we shut everything off, you had a great discourse of conversation that occurred between council members and staff about the issues. If you could have taped that discourse, it would have been much better than I think the public comment because you got the passion and you got a more detailed reasoning. You had different people talking amongst themselves about that particular topic. I think in this venue, I think if we can capture that, I think we'll be much better off.

DR. DUVAL: That is kind of what we were talking about is if you have Amber and another staff member who is there simply trying to capture those comments as they're coming, and you don't have to interrupt people and say please state your name for the record; you can have that conversational approach that is being recorded remotely and you don't have to interrupt the flow of that. That is why I bring that up.

MS. VON HARTEN: Well, that is the great thing about this approach for this type of input is that we'll have recordings. We didn't record the port meetings because we had the rapporteur there, so we'll have both. We should have everything covered and just keep it more informal like we'd had with the port meetings.

I don't know if it was helpful for you when we did this, the last run of comment stations, having the kind of how to run a comment station guide for council members; then maybe staff explaining up front how it is going to run, so that participants can understand a little bit better, too. We would have another package for you for the comment stations like we did with the last ones.

DR. DUVAL: I think for this round it would just be important to let people know to speak loudly and clearly. Most of the fishermen who turned out in North Carolina didn't have a problem speaking loudly and clearly, which was great; but if people are sitting sort of far away from the microphone, it can be difficult to hear their input.

We just want to make sure we are capturing all of that; so it would just be to make sure folks know to speak loudly and clearly. Personally I think in North Carolina we had great input, we had great conversation, and afterwards I can say it was fun.

MR. BROWN: Michelle, I listened to the whole thing; it was definitely the most entertaining.

DR. DUVAL: Well, like Ben said, those guys brought a lot of passion and knowledge and input to the conversation. There was a lot of that occurred during the question-and-answer part of it. It was just a little bit more difficult I think to try to move from that sort of free-form exchange into the formal, hey, don't forget to state your name on the record kind of thing. That was just a



little bit difficult. Amber, I realize we have some outstanding details with finalizing some dates. It sounds like if we can take a break; that might be able to be finalized.

MR. HAYMANS: Ours are finalized; July 22nd, Shellman Bluff, Sapelo Saltwater Fishing Club; and July 23rd, DNR Office in Brunswick.

MS. VON HARTEN: Just keep in mind obviously we need Wi-Fi access for you to run the webinars at these comment stations for the other ones, if we can keep that in mind. I guess for South Carolina, if you could be thinking about if we're going to do it in Charleston and not at DNR, maybe where we could do it. We had it at Mike Able's place. That was a good turnout we had there; but I don't know about doing the whole Wi-Fi access there, so just be thinking about that.

DR. DUVAL: I think the other thing – and this pertains to both the comment listening stations as well as any discussion we have about in-person meetings in conjunction with our normal public hearing schedule – is the presentation that is going to be made via the webinar. It is one thing to do a webinar for each one of the four focus areas; but then when you are trying to broadly obtain input on all four of these particular items during one session; that can prove to be a little bit more challenging in terms of hitting the highlights of the major objectives that are contained within each of these major focus areas.

That presentation could be two hours long if you went through every single thing specifically. That is something that is going to take a little bit of work and finesse. Certainly, we can have available, sort of similar to the packet of information we had available for the Amendment 36 listening stations, is physical copies of the different strategic management goal blueprints for folks to refer to if there are specific things.

MS. VON HARTEN: I thought a little bit about this and what I was thinking about doing was in the presentation kind of just touching on the key themes of the objectives and strategies. For instance, Objective 1 in management is talking about sub-regional management and then having bullet-point lists of the different types of things that are being considered in the actions; so that we could kind of just have some talking terms, talking points of ideas and then get people's reactions about it. That way we don't have to go into all the details of all the actions for each one.

DR. LANEY: Amber, would it be easier for staff as opposed to like one long presentation that covers all four points to break it up into like four subsections?

MS. VON HARTEN: Yes; and we would definitely want to break it up so that there would be more free-flow discussion and less presentation.

MS. McCAWLEY: You could try to encourage people to watch the videos on the website before they come to the meetings.

MS. VON HARTEN: Then the last thing that we'll be doing is the in-person public hearings in August that will be centered around whatever amendments end up going out in August. Those locations will kind of be driven by those amendments. That will have to be decided; but that is the draft schedule for August.

We may be hitting some of the areas in person that you all want to hit during the comment station, so keep that in mind as well. It looks like we'll probably be in Little River in August in person; the same thing for Key Largo and other places like that. The dates are tentative. I don't think they've been finalized yet.

MS. BECKWITH: I'll be in the Gulf Council meeting that 12th and 13<sup>th</sup>; so if we can switch that around, but we can chat afterwards.

DR. DUVAL: We'll probably touch base with Gregg maybe during Executive Finance or something. The problem is the week before that is Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission Meeting Week as well.

MS. VON HARTEN: The last thing that we also need to be thinking about in the horizon is our October Visioning Workshop. Please keep that in mind. Again, until we get all this public input, I am not really sure how long that meeting will be; but I would plan for at least two days and pencil in the dates of October 14th and 15th, please.

I don't have what days those are, but I know that Monday is a holiday and there were some folks that said that Wednesday/Thursday would be better than a Tuesday/Wednesday. That will be in Charleston. The goal of that workshop will be to – in September you will be looking at all the public input. I will have that summarized for you.

Then based on that public input, in October we'll get together and categorize what the feedback was and then start prioritizing and identifying short-term items versus long-term action items that you would develop down the road.

MR. BOWEN: Amber, can you clarify those dates again? On my calendar that I have already penciled in, I have the 13th, 14th, and 15th, with the 12th of October being Columbus Day; did you say Wednesday/Thursday? Could you just go over that again, please?

MS. VON HARTEN: Yes, so Monday is the holiday. Then we're targeting Wednesday and Thursday. That would be the 14th, 15th, I believe. I think some folks were that was better than a Tuesday/Wednesday, so we'll do Wednesday/Thursday, for sure.

DR. DUVAL: Then I think probably what folks are wondering is the plan to start at sort of a 1:00 o'clock on Wednesday so people have the morning to travel, and then go all day Thursday, at least until like 5:00 o'clock Thursday. I just want to make sure people have that on their calendars that way. I'm going to suggest we go ahead and just take a quick ten-minute break and then come back and clean up any other items that we need to address.

All right, everybody, let's go ahead and get started. We just have a few more details to wrap up for the visioning session. We were talking about some of the public input. We had discussed locations for the comment stations; we've discussed the in-person public hearing schedule, which is a little bit fluid at this point.

It sort of depends on some of the actions that we take here at this meeting what is going out; when and where those particular in-person public hearings will be. I think what we had

discussed was potentially holding an in-person public input in conjunction with those August public hearings but having it on either a different evening?

MS. VON HARTEN: Same evening.

DR. DUVAL: Same evening, okay. Do you want to elaborate?

MS. VON HARTEN: I think what we had tentatively talked about was having a set time for amendment public hearing comments with staff and then having a set time for visioning on the same night. That way all the council members could hear and interact with folks in person for the visioning comments.

The other thing that we need to discuss is for the comment stations. The North Carolina ones have already been set to start at 6:00 o'clock, but now I'm wondering if we need for the other ones, start them at 7:00, kind of like we're doing for the other webinars or can we start at 6:00? What are your thoughts on that?

DR. DUVAL: I had already arranged with North Carolina Sea Grant staff to have the listening stations in North Carolina start at 6:00 p.m. simply because we need some of their staff there to let us in and out of the buildings and everything. Quite frankly, I just wanted to make sure we would have space that had all the appropriate technical wizardry available, so I wanted to get those set pretty early.

But just given what we've said about the topic-based webinars that are going to be conducted for the different focus areas, having one maybe 10:00 to 12:00 and then one starting at 7:00. We just want to circle back and make sure that we had some discussion about applying that same timeframe to the other listening stations, so thoughts?

MR. HAYMANS: I'm good with 6:00 o'clock. I would prefer not to be there. I mean, I understand the webinars, having them a couple of times where people can hear and record them and all that kind of good stuff; but if I've got to be there, I would prefer one time, make it 6:00 o'clock and call it good.

DR. DUVAL: I'm seeing some heads nodding around the table. I would sort of prefer to keep it at 6:00 just so I don't have to go back to other folks with whom we've already made arrangements and modify that. Also, we're going to be on the road for those as well, so it is going to be pretty long nights for us heading back home. All right, I think that is pretty much it unless anybody has any other thoughts about this round of public input.

Amber is going to be working on putting together the presentations for the management, science, communication, and governance pieces; recording those presentations for posting online; probably sending out some notices to our constant contact list letting people know that those are up online for folks to listen to; to make sure that if they're not able to make one of these webinars where they can have some exchange back and forth and ask questions via the webinar; that they can at least view the recorded presentation and perhaps send in some comments.

The next time we meet in September we'll be reviewing the input that the public has had. We're not going to be meeting or reviewing any presentations or anything like that. I think we trust you implicitly, Amber, to put together a great presentation. You've done a great job thus far.

MR. BROWN: I just wanted to let you know that the August 4th date for Charleston also overlaps SEDAR 41; and that is all day.

DR. DUVAL: We were saying that those dates are somewhat fluid right now just based on whatever action we take during the council meeting for going out to the public. I know that is the Data Workshop for SEDAR 41.

MS. VON HARTEN: All I ask is that for those of you that are working on maybe some venues, it is okay if we have in the Federal Register Notice maybe the cities, but we'll need to have – just to have the timing of the flyer and the notices and everything else out to the public, we need to have those kind of secured maybe by the end of this week; the beginning of next week if possible. That would be great.

DR. DUVAL: Council staff may be having some contact with council members about finalizing locations for the in-person public comment meetings based on amendments that we have going out for public comment after this meeting and recognizing that there are some other overlapping types of things; ASMFC, SEDAR 41, et cetera, Gulf Council meeting and whatnot.

Is there anything else that we need to discuss with regard to visioning and getting public input on the Draft Vision Blueprint? I would just like to say I think we've come a long way. I'm anxious and anticipating what kind of input we're going to get from the public with regard to things that they would like to see us be working on for the next couple of years, things that they might want to see us set aside a little bit.

We're going to have a lot of work to do I think in October when we come back together to focus on finalizing the Vision Blueprint, which will always be something of a work in progress, and then sort of laying out the actions that we are going to be focusing on for the next couple of years; sort of those short-term things and those long-term things.

I will speak about this I think a little bit more once we get to the Snapper Grouper Committee. We've got a couple of things that we are going to be reviewing that I have some thoughts on from a big-picture perspective that I would like to discuss the timing of; but we'll do that in committee. If not then, Mr. Chairman, we are completed with the Visioning Workshop for this council meeting,

(Whereupon, the meeting was adjourned at 10:09 o'clock a.m., June 8, 2015.)

---

Certified By

Date

Transcribed By:  
Graham Transcriptions, INC.  
July 2015

SOUTH ATLANTIC FISHERY MANAGEMENT COUNCIL

**2015 COUNCIL MEMBERSHIP**

**COUNCIL CHAIR**

Ben Hartig  
9277 Sharon Street  
Hobe Sound, FL 33455  
772/546-1541 (ph)  
mackattackben@att.net

**VICE-CHAIR**

Dr. Michelle Duval  
NC Division of Marine Fisheries  
3441 Arendell St.  
(PO Box 769)  
Morehead City, NC 28557  
252/808-8011 (ph);  
252/726-0254 (f)  
michelle.duval@ncdenr.gov

Robert E. Beal  
Executive Director  
Atlantic States Marine Fisheries  
Commission  
1050 N. Highland St., Suite 200 A-N  
Arlington, VA 20001  
703/842-0740 (ph); 703/842-0741 (f)  
rbeal@asmfc.org

Mel Bell  
S.C. Dept. of Natural Resources  
Marine Resources Division  
P.O. Box 12559  
(217 Ft. Johnson Road)  
Charleston, SC 29422-2559  
843/953-9007 (ph)  
843/953-9159 (fax)  
bellm@dnr.sc.gov

Anna Beckwith  
1907 Paulette Road  
Morehead City, NC 28557  
252/671-3474 (ph)  
AnnaBarriosBeckwith@gmail.com

Zack Bowen  
P.O. Box 30825  
Savannah, GA 31410  
912/398-3733 (ph)  
[fishzack@comcast.net](mailto:fishzack@comcast.net)

W. Chester Brewer  
250 Australian Ave. South  
Suite 1400  
West Palm Beach, FL 33408  
561/655-4777 (ph)  
[WCBLAW@aol.com](mailto:WCBLAW@aol.com)

Mark Brown  
3642 Pandora Drive  
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29466  
843/881-9735 (ph); 843/881-4446 (f)  
[capt.markbrown@comcast.net](mailto:capt.markbrown@comcast.net)

Chris Conklin  
P.O. Box 972  
Murrells Inlet, SC 29576  
843/543-3833  
[conklinsafmc@gmail.com](mailto:conklinsafmc@gmail.com)

Jack Cox  
2010 Bridges Street  
Morehead City, NC 28557  
252/728-9548  
Dayboat1965@gmail.com

~~Dr. Roy Crabtree~~ JACK MCGOVERN  
Regional Administrator  
NOAA Fisheries, Southeast Region  
263 13th Avenue South  
St. Petersburg, FL 33701  
727/824-5301 (ph); 727/824-5320 (f)  
[roy.crabtree@noaa.gov](mailto:roy.crabtree@noaa.gov)

LT Morgan Fowler  
U.S. Coast Guard  
510 SW 11th Court  
Fort Lauderdale FL 33315  
[morgan.m.fowler@uscg.mil](mailto:morgan.m.fowler@uscg.mil)

SOUTH ATLANTIC FISHERY MANAGEMENT COUNCIL  
**2015 COUNCIL MEMBERSHIP (continued)**

✓ Doug Haymans  
Coastal Resources Division  
GA Dept. of Natural Resources  
One Conservation Way, Suite 300  
Brunswick, GA 31520-8687  
912/264-7218 (ph); 912/262-2318 (f)  
doughaymans@gmail.com

Deirdre Warner-Kramer  
Office of Marine Conservation  
OES/OMC  
2201 C Street, N.W.  
Department of State, Room 5806  
Washington, DC 20520  
202/647-3228 (ph); 202/736-7350 (f)  
Warner-KramerDM@state.gov

✓ Dr. Wilson Laney  
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service  
South Atlantic Fisheries Coordinator  
P.O. Box 33683  
Raleigh, NC 27695-7617  
(110 Brooks Ave  
237 David Clark Laboratories,  
NCSU Campus  
Raleigh, NC 27695-7617)  
919/515-5019 (ph)  
919/515-4415 (f)  
Wilson\_Laney@fws.gov

✓ Jessica McCawley  
Florida Fish and Wildlife  
Conservation Commission  
2590 Executive Center Circle E.,  
Suite 201  
Tallahassee, FL 32301  
850/487-0554 (ph); 850/487-4847(f)  
jessica.mccawley@myfwc.com

✓ Charles Phillips  
Phillips Seafood / Sapelo Sea Farms  
1418 Sapelo Avenue, N.E.  
Townsend, GA 31331  
912/832-4423 (ph); 912/832-6228 (f)  
Ga\_capt@yahoo.com

RICK DEVICTON

MONICA-SMIT-BRUNELLO

GEORGE SEORANM

CAPT. DAVID DIPRE

PAT GEER

BRETT BOSTON

ERIKA BURGESS

SOUTH ATLANTIC FISHERY MANAGEMENT COUNCIL  
**COUNCIL STAFF**

✓ **Executive Director**

Robert K. Mahood  
robert.mahood@safmc.net

✓ **Deputy Executive Director**

Gregg T. Waugh  
gregg.waugh@safmc.net

---

✓ **Public Information Officer**

Kim Iverson  
[kim.iverson@safmc.net](mailto:kim.iverson@safmc.net)

✓ **Fishery Outreach Specialist**

Amber Von Harten  
[amber.vonharten@safmc.net](mailto:amber.vonharten@safmc.net)

✓ **Senior Fishery Biologist**

Roger Pugliese  
[roger.pugliese@safmc.net](mailto:roger.pugliese@safmc.net)

✓ **Fishery Scientist**

Myra Brouwer  
[myra.brouwer@safmc.net](mailto:myra.brouwer@safmc.net)

✓ **Fishery Biologist**

Dr. Mike Errigo  
[mike.errigo@safmc.net](mailto:mike.errigo@safmc.net)

✓ **Fisheries Social Scientist**

Dr. Kari MacLauchlin  
[kari.maclauchlin@safmc.net](mailto:kari.maclauchlin@safmc.net)

✓ **Fishery Scientist**

Chip Collier  
[Chip.Collier@safmc.net](mailto:Chip.Collier@safmc.net)

✓ **Staff Economist**

Dr. Brian Chevront  
[brian.chevront@safmc.net](mailto:brian.chevront@safmc.net)

✓ **Science and Statistics Program Manager**

John Carmichael  
[john.carmichael@safmc.net](mailto:john.carmichael@safmc.net)

**SEDAR Coordinators**

Dr. Julie Neer - [julie.neer@safmc.net](mailto:julie.neer@safmc.net)  
Julia Byrd - [julia.byrd@safmc.net](mailto:julia.byrd@safmc.net)

✓ **Administrative Officer**

Mike Collins  
[mike.collins@safmc.net](mailto:mike.collins@safmc.net)

**Financial Secretary**

Debra Buscher  
[deb.buscher@safmc.net](mailto:deb.buscher@safmc.net)

**Admin. Secretary /Travel Coordinator**

Cindy Chaya  
[cindy.chaya@safmc.net](mailto:cindy.chaya@safmc.net)

✓ **Purchasing & Grants**

Julie O'Dell  
[julie.odell@safmc.net](mailto:julie.odell@safmc.net)



**South Atlantic Fishery Management Council -  
June 2015 Council Meeting  
Key West, FL**

**Date: Monday, June 8, 2015**

**Committee: Visioning Workshop**

**PLEASE SIGN IN -**

*In order to have a record of your attendance at each meeting and your name included in the minutes, we ask that you sign this sheet for the meeting shown above.*

Name:	Mailing Address/E-mail: <i>(Check box if information is on file)</i>	How do you participate in South Atlantic fisheries? <i>(Check all that apply)</i>	
		Commercial <input type="checkbox"/>	NGO <input type="checkbox"/>
George Elkay	<input checked="" type="checkbox"/> On File	Recreational <input type="checkbox"/>	Govt. <input checked="" type="checkbox"/>
		Charter/For-hire <input type="checkbox"/>	Other Describe
		Commercial <input type="checkbox"/>	NGO <input checked="" type="checkbox"/>
FRANK HELIES	<input type="checkbox"/> On File fchelies@verizon.net	Recreational <input type="checkbox"/>	Govt. <input type="checkbox"/>
		Charter/For-hire <input type="checkbox"/>	Other Describe
		Commercial <input type="checkbox"/>	NGO <input type="checkbox"/>
Lora Clarke	<input type="checkbox"/> On File lclarke@pewtrusts.org	Recreational <input type="checkbox"/>	Govt. <input type="checkbox"/>
		Charter/For-hire <input type="checkbox"/>	Other Describe
		Commercial <input type="checkbox"/>	NGO <input type="checkbox"/>
JUSTIN GRUBICH	<input type="checkbox"/> On File jgrubich@pewtrusts.org 1300 Mandarin Isle Fort Lauderdale 33315	Recreational <input type="checkbox"/>	Govt. <input type="checkbox"/>
		Charter/For-hire <input type="checkbox"/>	Other Describe
		Commercial <input type="checkbox"/>	NGO <input checked="" type="checkbox"/>
Leda Dunmore	<input checked="" type="checkbox"/> On File	Recreational <input type="checkbox"/>	Govt. <input type="checkbox"/>
		Charter/For-hire <input type="checkbox"/>	Other Describe
		Commercial <input type="checkbox"/>	NGO <input checked="" type="checkbox"/>
James Morley	<input type="checkbox"/> On File Jw.Morley@rutgers.edu	Recreational <input type="checkbox"/>	Govt. <input type="checkbox"/>
		Charter/For-hire <input type="checkbox"/>	Other Academic Describe
		Commercial <input type="checkbox"/>	NGO <input type="checkbox"/>

**South Atlantic Fishery Management Council  
4055 Faber Place Drive, Suit 201  
Charleston, SC 29405**





**South Atlantic Fishery Management Council -  
June 2015 Council Meeting  
Key West, FL**

**Date: Monday, June 8, 2015**

**Committee: Visioning Workshop**

**PLEASE SIGN IN -**

*In order to have a record of your attendance at each meeting and your name included in the minutes, we ask that you sign this sheet for the meeting shown above.*

Name:	Mailing Address/E-mail: <i>(Check box if information is on file)</i>	How do you participate in South Atlantic fisheries? <i>(Check all that apply)</i>	
		Commercial <input type="checkbox"/>	NGO <input type="checkbox"/>
Joe Klostermann	<input checked="" type="checkbox"/> On File	Recreational <input type="checkbox"/>	Govt. <input type="checkbox"/>
		Charter/For-hire <input type="checkbox"/>	Other _____ <i>Describe</i>
		Commercial <input type="checkbox"/>	NGO <input type="checkbox"/>
Gale Klostermann	<input checked="" type="checkbox"/> On File	Recreational <input type="checkbox"/>	Govt. <input type="checkbox"/>
		Charter/For-hire <input type="checkbox"/>	Other _____ <i>Describe</i>
		Commercial <input type="checkbox"/>	NGO <input type="checkbox"/>
Holly Binns	<input checked="" type="checkbox"/> On File	Recreational <input type="checkbox"/>	Govt. <input type="checkbox"/>
		Charter/For-hire <input type="checkbox"/>	Other _____ <i>Describe</i>
		Commercial <input type="checkbox"/>	NGO <input checked="" type="checkbox"/>
	<input type="checkbox"/> On File	Recreational <input type="checkbox"/>	Govt. <input type="checkbox"/>
		Charter/For-hire <input type="checkbox"/>	Other _____ <i>Describe</i>
		Commercial <input type="checkbox"/>	NGO <input type="checkbox"/>
	<input type="checkbox"/> On File	Recreational <input type="checkbox"/>	Govt. <input type="checkbox"/>
		Charter/For-hire <input type="checkbox"/>	Other _____ <i>Describe</i>
		Commercial <input type="checkbox"/>	NGO <input type="checkbox"/>
	<input type="checkbox"/> On File	Recreational <input type="checkbox"/>	Govt. <input type="checkbox"/>
		Charter/For-hire <input type="checkbox"/>	Other _____ <i>Describe</i>
		Commercial <input type="checkbox"/>	NGO <input type="checkbox"/>

**South Atlantic Fishery Management Council  
4055 Faber Place Drive, Suit 201  
Charleston, SC 29405**

# Registration Report

# GoToWebinar

Generated

Jun 17, 2015 9:39 AM EDT

## General Information

Webinar Name  
SAFMC Council Meeting - Day 1 of 5 (Monday)  
Scheduled Start Date  
Jun 8, 2015  
Scheduled Start Time  
8:30 AM EDT  
Scheduled Duration (minutes)

Webinar ID  
119-747-595  
Registered

Opened Invitation

33

56

Clicked Registration Link

540

63

## Registrants

First Name	Last Name	Email
David	Wyanski	wyanskid@dnr.sc.gov
Joey	Ballenger	ballengerj@dnr.sc.gov
Lora	Clarke	lclarke@pewtrusts.org
Bill	Maclauchlin	billmac@charter.net
Steve	amick	steveamicks@aol.com
stephen	holiman	stephen.holiman@noaa.gov
roy	crabtree	roy.crabtree@noaa.gov
Tony	Lamberte	tony.lamberte@noaa.gov
Mark	Carter	mcarter@fitechschools.com
Julie	Neer	julie.neer@safmc.net
Helen	Takade-Heumacher	htakade@edf.org
bob	cardin	finchaser357@aol.com
Scott	Baker	bakers@uncw.edu
Steve	amick	steveamicks@aol.com
Jennifer	Lee	Jennifer.Lee@noaa.gov
Karla	Gore	karla.gore@noaa.gov

Kari  
Jessica  
Julia  
m  
l  
Karen  
Susan  
Michael  
Nicolas  
Anik  
scott  
Andrew  
mary  
Nikhil  
NICK  
Michelle  
Rusty

MAcLAuchlin  
Stephen  
Byrd  
c  
L  
Raine  
Shipman  
Travis  
Alvarado  
Clemens  
sandorf  
Herndon  
vara  
Mehta  
FARMER  
Duval  
Hudson

kari.maclauchlin@safmc.net  
jessica.stephen@noaa.gov  
julia.byrd@safmc.net  
mec181@yahoo.com  
captaindrifter@bellsouth.net  
karen.raine@noaa.gov  
susanshipman@att.net  
mike.travis@noaa.gov  
Nicolas.Alvarado@noaa.gov  
anik.clemens@noaa.gov  
scott.sandorf@noaa.gov  
andrew.herndon@noaa.gov  
mary.vara@noaa.gov  
nikhil.mehta@noaa.gov  
nick.farmer@noaa.gov  
michelle.duval@ncdenr.gov  
DSF2009@aol.com