NMFS permits

Permits are used by fishery mananagers as a means to collect data essential to effective management.  Information collected through the permit system is used to help identify the number of participants in a particular fishery, monitor harvest, and provide valuable social and economic information.

While the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council is responsible for the development of fishery management plans and amendments to ensure sustainable fisheries, implementation of the regulations, including federal requirements for permits for some fisheries, is handled by the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS).

 Updated NMFS Permit Office Information (NOAA Fishery Bulletin PDF)

Information on permits required for commercial fishermen, dealers, and charter/headboat operators in the South Atlantic Region, including downloadable applications, can be found at: NMFS Southeast Regional Office - Permits.  Call 727/824-5326 or Toll free 877/376-4877. 

Fishing vessel permits for Atlantic tunas or charter/headboat permits for Atlantic Highly Migratory Species (tunas, swordfish, billfish, and sharks) are available through the NMFS Permit Shop or call toll free 1-888/872-TUNA (8862).  This includes recreational tuna permits, recreational tuna reporting, and tournament registration for HMS. 

Updated Fees for Federal Fisheries Permits Began October 2006
NOAA Fisheries Service Southeast Regional Office (SERO) advises vessel owners and dealers that a new fee schedule became effective October 1, 2006, for permits issued for fisheries federally managed in the exclusive economic zone (EEZ)...read more.