South Atlantic Fishery Bulletin
Bringing Fishing News to You
FISHERY BULLETIN ISSUE DATE: January 24, 2018
CONTACT: Sustainable Fisheries (727) 824-5305
Federal Waters Off Georgia Closed to All Fishing for Brown, Pink, and White Shrimp
- No person may trawl for brown, pink, or white shrimp in federal waters off
- The closure is effective, January 24,
- NOAA Fisheries will issue a new Fishery Bulletin announcing the re-opening to shrimp harvest in federal waters off Georgia.
WHY THIS CLOSURE IS HAPPENING:
- The purpose of the closure is to protect the white shrimp spawning
- Georgia closed its state waters to all shrimping on January 15, 2018, due to a prolonged period of water temperatures at or below 9°C in the
- Georgia requested NOAA Fisheries to close federal waters off Georgia.
DURING THE CLOSURE:
- Possession of brown, pink, or white shrimp is prohibited on board a vessel in federal waters off Georgia unless the vessel is in transit through the area and all nets with a mesh size of less than four inches, as measured between the centers of opposite knots when pulled taut, are stowed below deck.
- Any vessel trawling within 25 nautical miles seaward from the Georgia shoreline must use trawl nets with a minimum mesh size of four inches or greater.
This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. Full regulations can be found in the Federal Register.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA’s Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time. Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
- Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
• Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
• Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
• South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
• South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
• Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707 Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750