SOUTHEAST FISHERY BULLETIN
January 22, 2015
NOAA Fisheries Seeks Comments on Proposed Management Measures to End Overfishing of Blueline Tilefish in the South Atlantic
Comment Period Ends February 23, 2015
NOAA Fisheries is seeking public comment on Amendment 32 to the Fishery Management Plan for the Snapper-Grouper Fishery of the South Atlantic Region (Amendment 32). The proposed rule for Amendment 32 published in the Federal Register on January 22, 2015 (80 FR 3207). The comment period ends on February 23, 2015.
Amendment 32 would implement management measures to end overfishing (rate of fish removal too high) of blueline tilefish in the South Atlantic. A population assessment completed in 2013 determined that blueline tilefish is undergoing overfishing. The South Atlantic Fishery Management Council (Council) and NOAA Fisheries are required by law to prepare and implement a plan amendment and regulations to end overfishing by December 6, 2015.
Actions in Amendment 32 consider:
- Implementation of blueline tilefish annual catch limits and accountability measures for the commercial and recreational sectors. Accountability measures are management controls to prevent annual catch limits from being exceeded and to correct overages of the catch limits if they do occur.
- Implementation of a commercial trip limit of 100 pounds gutted weight for blueline tilefish.
- Implementation of a recreational vessel limit of one per vessel per day for the months of May through August each year. Recreational harvest of blueline tilefish would be prohibited September through April each year.
- Removal of blueline tilefish from the deep-water complex.
- Recalculation of the commercial and recreational annual catch limits for the deep-water complex.
- Revisions to the accountability measures for the commercial and recreational sectors for the deep-water complex.
Request for Comments
Comments on the amendment must be received no later than February 23, 2015, to be considered by NOAA Fisheries. See the Addresses section for information on where and how to submit comments.
Electronic copies of Amendment 32 may be obtained from the NOAA Fisheries Web site http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/sustainable_fisheries/s_atl/sg/2014/am32/index.html, the Federal e-Rulemaking Portal at https://www.regulations.gov/, the Council's Web site at https://safmc.net/cms.
You may submit comments by the following methods:
- Electronic Submission
: Submit all electronic public comments via the Federal e-Rulemaking Portal. Go to www.regulations.gov/#!docketDetail;D=NOAA-NMFS-2014-0145, click the "Comment Now!" icon, complete the required fields, and enter or attach your comments.
- Mail: NOAA Fisheries Service
Southeast Regional Office
Sustainable Fisheries Division
c/o Rick DeVictor
263 13th Avenue South
St. Petersburg, Florida 33701
All personal identifying information (for example, name, address, etc.) voluntarily submitted by the commenter may be publicly accessible. Do not submit confidential business information or otherwise sensitive or protected information. NOAA Fisheries will accept anonymous comments. Attachments to electronic comments will be accepted in Microsoft Word, Excel, WordPerfect, or Adobe PDF file formats only. Comments received through means not specified in this bulletin may not be considered.
More information, including Frequently Asked Questions for Amendment 32 can be found online at: http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/sustainable_fisheries/s_atl/sg/2014/am32/index.html.
For a complete list of NOAA Fishery Bulletins, click here.
FB15-005: NOAA Fisheries Seeks Comments on Proposed Management Measures to End Overfishing of Blueline Tilefish in the South Atlantic - Comment Period Ends February 23, 2015