South Atlantic Fishery Management Council Set to Meet in Savannah, GA from March 3-7, 2014
Briefing book materials, including a detailed agenda, agenda highlights, committee meeting overviews, committee documents, and information on the Informal Q&A and Public Comment Session are now available on the Council's website.
Live broadcasts of the meeting will be available each day. Register to watch the meeting LIVE via webinar here.
Mackerel Committee Meeting
- Coastal Migratory Pelagics (Mackerel) Framework Amendment 1 - updates annual catch limits for Spanish mackerel based on the latest stock assessment. The amendment is scheduled for final approval by the Council.
- Joint South Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico Amendment 20B - establishes regional commercial annual catch limits for Atlantic group king mackerel and Spanish mackerel and allows transfer of quota. Also addresses trip limits, fishing seasons, and transit provisions in the Gulf of Mexico, framework procedures and catch limits for cobia. The Council is scheduled to approve the amendment for Secretarial review.
Snapper Grouper Committee Meeting
- Amendment 29 (ORCS and gray triggerfish) - The amendment outlines procedures for management of stocks with limited data (only reliable catch stocks) and also includes management alternatives for gray triggerfish, including commercial trip limits and changes to size limits. The committee will review public hearing comments and provide recommendations. The amendment is scheduled for approval
by the Council in June 2014.
- Regulatory Amendment 21 (Minimum Stock Size Threshold) - the amendment includes alternatives to consider changing the MSST definition for snapper grouper species with low natural mortality. The Council is scheduled to approve the amendment for submission to the Secretary of Commerce.
- Regulatory Amendment 16 (black sea bass pot seasonal closure) - the committee will review public scoping comments and choose preferred management alternatives that include modifications to the current closure. The amendment is scheduled for public hearings in August 2014.
Wednesday, March 5 at 5:30 PM - Informal Q&A Session
Led by NOAA Fisheries Regional Administrator Dr. Roy Crabtree and Council Chairman Ben Hartig.
Thursday, March 6 at 5:30 PM - Public Comment
Formal public comment accepted on all amendments scheduled for Secretarial approval and other agenda items. See the meeting agenda and briefing book materials available at safmc.net/cms for details.