Snapper Grouper Amendment 50
(Red Porgy Catch Levels, Allocations, and Rebuilding)
Purpose of Amendment: According to the latest assessment (SEDAR 60 2020), red porgy are overfished and overfishing is occurring. The Council is required to establish a rebuilding plan for red porgy no later than June 12, 2022. And adjust catch levels to end overfishing.
Action Summary: establish a rebuilding plan, revise annual catch limits (ACL), sector allocations, management measures for the commercial and recreational sectors, and accountability measures (AM) for the recreational sector. A
- June 2020: amendment development initiated
- December 2020: reviewed preliminary analyses, recommendations on management measures from the Snapper Grouper AP, and approved the amendment for scoping.
- February 3 & 4, 2021: scoping hearings held via webinar
- June 2021: reviewed updated analyses and selected some preferred alternatives, removed consideration of recreational vessel limits, added alternative for a recreational fishing season and a modified recreational accountability measure. The Council approved the amendment for public hearings.
- September 2021: public hearing held on Wednesday, September 15, 2021
- December 2021: the Council will review, modify if needed, and approve all actions.
Myra Brouwer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Documents & Public Comment
- Pre-Scoping: December 2019
- Scoping: February 3 & 4, 2021
- Public Hearing: September 15, 2021
- Final Approval:
- Secretarial Review:
- Rule Making: