Coral Amendment 10
Establishes a Shrimp Fishery Access Area along the eastern boundary of the northern extension of the Oculina Bank Habitat Area of Particular Concern.
Purpose of the Amendment: To establish a Shrimp Fishery Access area along the western boundary of the northern extension of the Oculina Bank Habitat Area of Particular Concern (OHAPC) where fishing for rock shrimp would be allowed. The area under consideration was once utilized by the fishery but access to it was restricted with the implementation of Coral Amendment 8 in 2014.
Action Summary: to establish an area within the existing OHAPC where rock shrimp fishing would be allowed to restore access to historic grounds to the fishery while maintaining protection for Oculina coral.
- September 2019: removed actions related to CHAPCs from the joint amendment with Golden Crab Amendment 10 and Shrimp Amendment 11.
- September 2020: included a single action to consider establishing a shrimp fishery access area along the eastern boundary of the northern extension of the Oculina Bank CHAPC.
- October 2020: Habitat and Ecosystem, Coral, and Deepwater Shrimp APs input.
- February 2021: Scoping meetings were held via Webinar on February 8 and 9.
- May 2021: Public hearings were held on May 12-13.
- September 2021: approved for submission to the Secretary of Commerce.
- December 2021: amendment submitted.
NOTE: This amendment was disapproved, and the Council directed staff to resubmit during the September 2022 meeting
- Final approval
- Public hearing
- Rule making
- Secretarial review