Snapper Grouper Amendment 28
Modified red snapper management measures and established a process to determine future annual catch limits and fishing seasons.
- Revised red snapper ACLs, AMs, and season: Establish annual ACL using a formula that is dependent on total removals, if the ABC in the prior fishing year is exceeded, then the ACL in the following year would = 0.
- NMFS will announce the commercial ACL and the opening of the fishing season through the FR, the end of the commercial season will close when the sector ACL is met. Commercial landings will be monitored by the SEFSC’s quota monitoring program. The commercial season will begin at 12:01 AM on the second Monday in July.
- SERO will complete an analysis each year estimating the length of the recreational season. NMFS will announce the rec ACL and the opening of the fishing season through the FR. the rec season will consist of weekends only (F, Sat, Sun), the end of the rec season will be predetermined and announced before the start of the season, the rec season will not open if the season is projected to be less than three days, the rec season will begin at 12:01 AM on the second Friday in July.
- Eliminated the commercial and recreational 20-in TL min size.
- Established a commercial trip limit of 75 lbs gw per trip.
- Established a rec bag limit of 1 f/p/d.
- Final approval
- Public hearing
- Rule making
- Secretarial review