Snapper Grouper Amendment 3
Added wreckfish to the fishery management unit and required permit and data collection requirements. Set a control date for a potential limited entry program for wreckfish. Establish total allowable catch for wreckfish.
- Added wreckfish to the MU, defined OY, defined overfishing, required annual permit to fish for, land, or sell wreckfish, and collect data necessary for effective management.
- Established a control date of March 28 1990 after which there would be no guarantee of inclusion in a limited entry program should one be developed. This was later limited to the area bounded by 33 degrees and 30 degrees N Lat based on input from public hearings.
- Established a fishing year beginning April 1. This was later modified, based on input from fishermen during PH to April 16th.
- Established a process whereby annual total allowable catch (annual quotas) would be specified with the initial quota being 2, 8, or between 2 and 8 million pounds.
- Established a 10,000 lbs trip limit.
- Established a spawning season closure from Jan 15- Apr 15.
- Final approval
- Public hearing
- Rule making
- Secretarial review