Purpose of Amendment: Revise Acceptable Biological Catch based on latest assessment (SEDAR 64 2019) and revised landings (MRIP-FES)
Action Summary: Adopt recommended Acceptable Biological Catch, adjust jurisdictional allocation between the South Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico Councils, adjust Annual Catch Limits, and sector allocations (South Atlantic only).
- December 2020: amendment development initiated (jointly with the Gulf Council)
- June 2021: review the Advisory Panel’s input on the fishery’s performance, a fishery overview, and a draft options paper including actions previously considered (in 2018).
- September 2021: review preliminary analyses and approve for scoping. Request input from stakeholders on commercial management measures (commercial trip limits) and get feedback from advisors (Snapper Grouper and Reef Fish Advisory Panels) and the Gulf Council.
- November 2021: Public Scoping Webinars
- December 2021: The Council suspended work on the amendment while a request is made to the FWC to update the stock assessment with three additional years of data (through 2020)
Most recent amendment documents
- Final approval
- Public hearing
- Rule making
- Secretarial review