Purpose of the Amendment: Address deficiencies in recreational data through the creation of a permit and reporting requirement for private recreational vessels.
Action Summary: This amendment will investigate requiring a permit for anglers to participate in the recreational snapper grouper fishery and whether there will be or what type of trip reporting requirements would be required for anglers to participate in the snapper grouper fishery.
- November 2020: Council suspended work on the amendment (which was initiated in 2017) and directed staff to convene a workgroup to explore approaches for a private recreational permit and reporting requirements in the South Atlantic region. The workgroup convened three times during 2021.
- December 2021: The Council requested that discussion on this amendment be added to the March 2022 agenda.
- March 2022: Council reviewed background information, recommendations from the workgroup, and directed staff to assemble candidates for an ad hoc advisory panel (AP) to be selected in June 2022.
- June 2022: Ad hoc AP appointed.
- Augusts 2022: AP convened.
- September 2022: Council directed to reconvene the AP prior to the December 2022 meeting.
Most recent amendment document
- Final approval
- Public hearing
- Rule making
- Secretarial review
John HadleyFishery Management Plan Coordinator & Fishery Economist