Purpose of Amendment: The Council finished its second review of the Wreckfish ITQ program in September of 2019. As part of the review there were several recommendations made to modernize the program, which will be addressed in this amendment. The amendment also includes review of the ITQ goals and objectives and adoption of updated goals and objectives for the entire Snapper Grouper Fishery Management Plan.
Action Summary: moving away from a paper coupon-based program to an electronic program; fishing season and spawning closure; cost recovery; wreckfish permit requirement; allocation issues; offloading sites and times; and vessel monitoring system requirements.
- September 2020: amendment development initiated.
- October 2020: meeting of the Wreckfish shareholders and wholesale dealers held to discuss amendment development.
- March 2021: scoping held during the Council meeting.
- September 2021: decision made to have Amendment 48 come to the Council every other or every third meeting, depending on workload.
- Spring 2022: meeting of the wreckfish shareholders to discuss amendment development and voluntary pilot program for the commercial electronic logbook.