Purpose of Amendment: Respond to the latest stock assessment (SEDAR 60). Red porgy are overfished and overfishing is occurring. The Council is required to establish a rebuilding plan by June 2022 and adjust catch levels and management measures to end overfishing.
Action Summary: Establish a rebuilding plan, revise annual catch limits (ACL), sector allocations, management measures for the commercial and recreational sectors, and accountability measures (AM) for the recreational sector.
- June 2020: Amendment development initiated.
- February 3 & 4, 2021: Scoping hearings held via webinar.
- September 2021: Public hearing held on Wednesday, September 15, 2021.
- March 2022: amendment approved for formal review.
- May 3, 2022: amendment submitted.
- September 9, 2022: proposed rule published.
Most recent amendment documents
- Final approval
- Public hearing
- Rule making
- Secretarial review
Myra BrouwerDeputy Director for Management