Purpose of Amendment: Respond to the latest stock assessment (SEDAR 71). Gag are overfished and undergoing overfishing. The Council is required to establish a rebuilding plan and adjust catch levels and management measures to end overfishing.
Action Summary: Establish a rebuilding plan, adjust catch levels, sector allocations, management measures for the commercial and recreational sectors, and accountability measures (AM).
- June 2021: Plan amendment initiated.
- September 2021: NMFS provides additional clarification on the timeframe for rebuilding.
- October 2021: Snapper Grouper AP input.
- December 2021: Requested additional rebuilding probability. projections from the SSC approved for scoping.
- February 2022: Scoping meetings February 1, 2, and 3.
- April 2022: Snapper Grouper AP input.
- September 2022: approved for public hearings.
Most recent amendment documents
- Final approval
- Public hearing
- Rule making
- Secretarial review
Allie IberleFishery Scientist